Boot_Device_LED, no light up, New GPU.

William Barry

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
I have attempted to install a second GPU to my custom build, but the system does not boot, giving a slowly repeating beep and the Boot_Device_LED does not light up. I tried just the new GPU, but the same issue occurred. I also tried switching the positions in the PCI-E slots. I put the original GPU back in and the issue goes away. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Solution
look up beep codes for your BIOS and see what the BIOS is telling you "..giving a slowly repeating beep ..." You can usually find beep codes for your BIOS in the MB documentation.

Posting your components is a good idea.

Given the second card does not work when it's the only GPU I'd return it for an even exchange.

look up beep codes for your BIOS and see what the BIOS is telling you "..giving a slowly repeating beep ..." You can usually find beep codes for your BIOS in the MB documentation.

Posting your components is a good idea.

Given the second card does not work when it's the only GPU I'd return it for an even exchange.

Solution

William Barry

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

The manual does not have a mention of this type of beeping, I have a saphire Radeon HD 7870, and a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870. Mobo is a Asus Z87 Plus. I feel like the new gpu may be using more power and/or interfering with the mobo reading the boot drive.

Put just your old video card back in and boot. Get into BIOS. See who made the BIOS then google 'beep code' and the BIOS name. But odds are it's the no video beep code and your new video card is dead.

I'd be worried about your power supply if both cards worked when they were the only card in the PC. Instead one 7870 works and the other does not. I'd return the new 7870 that does not work. (Assume you've tried both cards using the same power connector in the same PCIe slot and only the old card works)

see if this is for your MB: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/548787/Asus-Z87m-Plus.html?page=58