[SOLVED] Bootable HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
can i make a bootable hd only with the os and the apps copied?- I mean not to clone the entire HD which is bigger than the new SSD I want to buy.

Solution
I'm not sure that is entirely true for OS X. Most apps are self-contained bundles which can easily be moved, unlike Windows. But to separate out what you want to copy and what you don't would be a pain.
You should already have an OS disk, as all Macs come with one, so use that to do a fresh OS install and then reinstall your apps from their CDs (or if bought from the App store they should reload automatically, I believe). It's going to be the easiest way to do it.
I'm not sure that is entirely true for OS X. Most apps are self-contained bundles which can easily be moved, unlike Windows. But to separate out what you want to copy and what you don't would be a pain.
You should already have an OS disk, as all Macs come with one, so use that to do a fresh OS install and then reinstall your apps from their CDs (or if bought from the App store they should reload automatically, I believe). It's going to be the easiest way to do it.

Solution

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
You can create an image with a fresh installation of OSX, however you will have to install the apps at least once to create the system image. (This is best used for deployments to networked machines)

Status
Not open for further replies.