Question Bootable USB shows up in UEFI BIOS, but doesn't boot ?

sleds_90k

Reputable
Mar 6, 2019
Hi there. Recently, I bought an Intel i7 7700K CPU. When I tried installing it, I got no video out. I assumed this is because my motherboard (ASUS H170 PRO GAMING) doesn't recognize it. My BIOS firmware is from 2016 (as I never needed to update it) and the i7 7700K is one of the last CPUs that's compatible with my motherboard. I bought a USB flash drive, quick formatted it to FAT32, and installed the .CAP file of the most recent update for my motherboard, downloaded from the ASUS website, onto it.

Now, when I restart and go into BIOS, I can see the USB twice in the boot menu. There is "UEFI - SanDisk USB Partition 1" and "SanDisk USB". Booting from the first (titled UEFI) immediately returns to BIOS. Booting from the second (without UEFI) seems like the computer is trying to boot from that drive for a few seconds but also returns to BIOS. I have tried a number of different boot options in BIOS including enabling CSM, setting "boot from storage device" to UEFI only, legacy only, and UEFI or legacy.

Most of the troubleshooting I found online covers what to do if your drive doesn’t show up in the boot menu. Mine does, but doesn’t boot. Do I need to do something differently in terms of preparing the flash drive? Thanks for your help.