[SOLVED] Booting from SSD gives "Driver PNP Watchdog" BSOD Plus really slow

Jul 26, 2020
I have two SSDs, one that I use now that works and my old one which I could not fix. When booting up my PC with the old SSD connected, the computer takes about a minute to get past the motherboard logo screen compared to ~3 seconds usually. When I booted from my good SSD with the bad one connected (it had been a long time since I had booted with the bad one connected), I was able to see the bad SSD and its files. I opened up cmd and ran

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=e:\ /offwindir=e:\windows

It was stuck at beginning scan for a long time, but eventually started checking things. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it had seen something wrong and was trying to fix it. However, I noticed it had stopped, and used diskpart to see that the volume was no longer listed as well as the disk. I restarted, but it was still gone. I've found that the only way to get my PC to recognize it for even a little while is to shutdown my PC and then turn power supply off and then on. Next time, I tried running

chkdsk e:\ /f /r

It started scanning stuff but then froze on "Examining file name linkage". Again, after a while it failed because the disk was no longer recognized.

If I boot from a USB and use diskpart, list disk shows the bad SSD there. However, list vol does not list any volumes for it.

I believe the problem lies entirely with the SSD because I have no issues with using my other one.
Does anyone know any causes for these problems and possible solutions?
Thank you.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 8 GB
SSD (Broken One): Drevo X1 SSD 240GB
GPU: Radeon RX 460
PSU: EVGA 430 W 80+ Certified ATX

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Obvious solution is stop using old ssd, its clearly on its way out. The startup time is enough of a clue it almost dead, it showing in some places and not others is another sign.

Do you want anything off it? If not, just put it in a drawer and move on.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution