Question Booting issue on six year old PC

tomahawk5067

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Built current PC in 2015, worked fine until recently when issue began where it won’t boot normally.
Except for XMP profile on RAM dimms, there are no other overclocks and Motherboard is up F7 bios version which is last one Gigabyte published in 2015. Windows 10 was up to date at the time of issue.

Case : Fractal Design Define R5 with 3x Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 fan @ 1000 RPM (2 intake, 1 exhaust)
MB : Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
CPU : Intel CORE i5 4690K 3.5GHz
Cooler : Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 16GB (2X8) [DDR3L 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 1.35V]
GPU : ASUS Strix 97O GTX 4GB DirectCU II
SSD : Crucial MX500 1TB [replaced 256GB MX100]
HDD : Segate Barracuda 2TB
PSU : Antec Edge 650W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Media : ASUS DRW-24F1ST

On the first day, the PC would power on, system lights came on and fans were running, but no display as the monitor could detect no feed. I restart the PC and it would post, load windows and work normally. I had noticed in the past, that sometimes if I left the computer for a while and it went to sleep, if I interacted with it, something similar would happen [light and fans, no display] where I would have to either restart the PC or the PC would shut itself down after a few seconds. But would work normally afterwards.

The next day, the same issue happened again and when rebooting PC, received error about BIOS not loading correctly, and presented options to enter bios or load optimised defaults. I loaded the defaults and the PC passed BIOS and loaded Windows.

On the third day, same issue again with same workaround. I wanted to test this further as I noticed the previous days that restarting the PC did not affect it, but shutting down and then starting the PC brought the problem on. So, I shut the PC down and turned it back on with the usual system lights and fans working but no display. However, this time the attached keyboard and mouse which have lights on them began to flicker and then stopped. After this, I tried several times, but the PC would not start correctly.

A few days later when I had the time, I disconnected all the cables and outside attachments, opened the PC and detached the GPU, SSDs, HDDs and media drive, leaving only the CPU, RAM and PSU installed.
I used plain non-RGB keyboard and mouse for testing, although the RGB keyboard and mouse are still functional when plugged into a laptop.

I powered on the PC and could see the lights [motherboard and case] and fans [CPU cooler and case] all start working, but nothing displayed on the screen using the motherboard HDMI connection.
I tried the following with power offs and on between:
+Clear cmos by shorting motherboard pins with screwdriver
+Replaced CMOS battery
+Reseated RAM modules

After some of these actions, when I powered on the PC, the monitor received a signal and would display the screen that the BIOS did not load properly, presenting options to
+Load optimised defaults and reboot
+Enter bios

Trying either options would eventually get me to the screen that no boot drive could be detected and restart and present the above options again.

I did notice in the BIOS that all the installed RAM dimms were recognised and the correct size was read.

If I shut the PC down and powered it on again, nothing would display again, and I would have to again clear the cmos, remove the battery or reseat a Ram Dimm to get the BIOS options to appear on the next power, but was not guaranteed.

Afterwards, I tried with the GPU and SSD installed and no luck, so I stopped testing at that time.

Additionally, I think I had to have the keyboard and mouse disconnected from the PC for the System to get to the BIOS screen and then reconnect them to continue interacting with the BIOS screen.

I don't have spare parts to try any further testing, and I don’t know anybody with spare parts or who would be willing to lend their working parts for testing. So, I would have to buy in parts for testing for example PSU, Ram or Motherboard.

Also due to the age of my PC, getting a replacement motherboard could be expensive and risky due to used\refurbished units that in some cases sell for nearly the same price as my motherboard originally cost.

Does anyone have further suggestions to try troubleshooting this issue?

Or Is it worthwhile trying to get parts to try resolve this issue, or look to upgrade instead to newer parts?

Sounds like the problem is likely the motherboard. Perhaps another base component. As you went down to PSU, Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

I didn't notice. Did you try just one RAM module at a time?

Create a flash drive with the latest BIOS. If you can get to the point again of working with the BIOS. Try flashing a fresh BIOS. Make sure you setup the flash correctly. Which is most likely FAT32, unpacking the BIOS download and moving the contents to the flash drive without a folder. Although it may vary with your motherboard.

Buy a new PSU. The one you want for your next build. If it works. You're good to go. If it doesn't. You didn't waste any money. As you have the first part of your replacement computer.

tomahawk5067

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Hello velocityg4,

Thank you for replying.

I went back and did more testing with the PC today, especially the RAM dimms.

So, I began by disconnecting the SSD/HDD and GPU, leaving the CPU, CPU cooler, RAM and PSU installed, along with non-RGB keyboard, mouse and HDMI monitor connected.

8GB dimm A in RAM slot 1 = boot loop and no visuals.
8GB dimm A in RAM slot 2 = boot and visuals repeatable.
8GB dimm A in RAM slot 3 = bott and visual on first boot only, boot loop afterwards unless reseated.
8GB dim A in RAM slot 4 = boot and visuals repeatable.

8GB dimm B in RAM slot 1 = boot loop and no visuals
8GB dimm B in RAM slot 2 = boot loop and no visuals
8GB dimm B in RAM slot 3 = boot and visual on first try, boot loop and next few tries and boot and visuals on some later tries.
8GB dimm B in RAM slot 4 = boot loop

8GB dimm A in slot 4 + SSD = boot and Windows
8GB dimm A in slot 4 + SSD + HDD = boot loop
8GB dimm A in slot 4 + SSD = boot loop
8GB dimm A in slot 4 = boot loop

8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD = boot and windows
8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + restart = boot and windows
8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + shutdown and startup = boot loop
If left for a while = boot and windows.

Now I transferred HDMI cable to GPU.
8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + GPU = boot and windows
8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + GPU + restart = boot and windows
8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + GPU + shutdown and startup = boot and windows
[left longer period of time between shutdown and startup]

8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + HDD + GPU = boot and windows
8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + HDD + GPU + restart = boot and windows
8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + HDD + GPU + shutdown and startup = boot and windows
[left longer period of time between shutdown and startup]

8GB dimm A in slot 2 + 8GB dimm B in slot 4 + SSD + HDD + GPU = boot and windows
Above + restart = boot and windows
Above + shutdown and startup = everything powers on but no visuals.

8GB dimm A in slot 2 + SSD + HDD + GPU = boot loop X 2, then boot and windows.

8GB dimm A in slot 4 + SSD + HDD + GPU = boot loop X 2, then boot and windows.
At this point I stopped.

I didn’t try reflashing the BIOS as it is already at latest version F7 for the motherboard and once the PC started to boot and reach windows during testing, I continued with testing.

Regarding a new PSU, which would you recommend?

I was looking at the following 650W PSUs:

Seasonic Focus GX 80 PLUS Gold power supply, modular - 650 watts from Germany at €94.90 with €17 – €23 shipping to Ireland depending if using DHL or UPS.
Or
Corsair RMX Series RM650x power supply - 650 watts from Germany at €109.90 with €17 – €23 shipping to Ireland depending if using DHL or UPS.
or
Corsair RM650x 650 Watt 24-pin ATX Power Supply - Black from Ireland at €134.70 with free shipping.