Booting problems with USB

Jonathan_39

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I have a usb key for booting my windows 8.1 and to reinstall windows 8.1 on it due to an issue booting, but when it gets to the screen to select the drive to boot on, it says the drive is not valid as it is not NTSC drive, what to do?

Solution

Go here:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

There is a Ubuntu .deb for this

Jonathan_39

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

Yes it was in that format, I think that is the problem, also I think there is a problem with the hard drive anyway, too many bad pages is an error that is coming up a lot with various things I have tried. I am currently connecting my laptop to an OS via drive droid on my phone, using lubuntu, and am trying to figure out how to put this OS onto a flash drive so I can run it from there and not need my phone connected to my computer, but I am getting more problems during installation, incuding one time it got to 90%, then decided it couldnt complete it, there was plenty of space on the flash drive still, its getting very frustrating

Jonathan_39

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
to clarify earlier points, the hdd is SCSI with GPT partition style, but I think it is damaged, so I am trying to boot from a flash drive with an OS fully installed on it, to at least get some use of my laptop without needing to have a new hard drive put in

USAFRet

Titan

What OS? A Windows OS? That won't work, without a lot of specific prep work.

Jonathan_39

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

Jonathan_39

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

Well I got on to an OS by using drive droid, an app on my phone, that allows you to connect your phone to the computer and boot from there, and having got there it gives you an option to install the OS on to your computer and then there is an option to install to the flash drive I have connected but I haven't been able to get it to install properly to it yet, maybe I need to get a bigger flash drive I dont know, it says it needed about 6 GB and the drive was 8 GB, so not sure at the moment

Jonathan_39

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
There may be some software I can download to format the flash drive properly, not sure, but I am on Lubuntu, so I need a download that is compatible with this Linux platform, many I have seen are only compatible with windows

USAFRet

Titan

Go here:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

There is a Ubuntu .deb for this

Solution