Question Booting up shows weird lines, cannot access BIOS

Aug 7, 2023
Last month the 15th I went on amazon and purchase a MSI graphics card, specifically 4070ti. The card works fine and all, just that when it's booting up I never see the Asus Logo (unless I plug in the graphics card using HDMI). This can create problems, such as not able to access BIOS and so on. (This problem happens when I use displayport cable to plug in rather than HDMi). I don't know how to fix this, as I have experienced this with two of the same cards. (I ordered the same card prior on eBay and I thought that the card was an issue - clearly it's not.)

The card loads up to the windows login screen but when I want to update the BIOS, well I never get the chance to (Since the ASUS logo is never displayed on displayport connection) and if I go on windows setting and boot up using UEFI the screen just flickers and I have to manually force shut down. Keep in mind this is all using the displayport connection and not HDMI. You can argue that I can go for HDMI instead but i'm not getting 165hz using HDMI (my monitor is capable of 165hz), HDMI only gives 144hz. What can be the issue here? Not too sure what the problem is. I bought two different displayPort cables and HDMI cables and the results are the same. I checked all connections on my PC and they are all tighten. I updated all possible drivers too. I have an ASUS z790-h board. Just to reiterate, the PC works fine whether I use HDMI or displayPort connection, just that the booting up screen bugs me out a lot.

Also worth mentioning that I had bought the same mobo and card and had the same problem. I thought that it was the mobo or the card so I returned both and reordered new parts. Sadly the issue is still here.

td;lr graphic card does not display the ASUS logo (and not able to access bios) if plugged into displayPort but will show booting up and access to BIOS with HDMI connection. iGPU (Motherboard does not have this issue at all, whether displayPort or HDMI connection - asus logo still shows when booting up and i can access bios)

Current Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8bRxGP

Last edited:
So there is a newer BIOS version, 1303, and I'd probably recommend updating to that first even though it doesn't specifically mention anything regarding display issues because they never include the entire changelog in the notes on any new BIOS release. There are pretty much always changes that do not get noted there so it's always worth updating if an update is available AND if you are having issues.

Also, make sure the primary input type on your monitor's menu options is set to displayport.

Do you have this same problem if you completely remove the graphics card and use only the CPU's internal graphics output through the motherboard displayport output?

Aug 7, 2023
So there is a newer BIOS version, 1303, and I'd probably recommend updating to that first even though it doesn't specifically mention anything regarding display issues because they never include the entire changelog in the notes on any new BIOS release. There are pretty much always changes that do not get noted there so it's always worth updating if an update is available AND if you are having issues.

Also, make sure the primary input type on your monitor's menu options is set to displayport.

Do you have this same problem if you completely remove the graphics card and use only the CPU's internal graphics output through the motherboard displayport output?
View: https://imgur.com/a/15wm38F

Just Updated bios same problem
I don’t want to remove the motherboard rn as it takes too much time to remove and install back
Currently if I plug into motherboard there is no signal, when I first built I plugged into HDMI TO motherboard and works fine but I didn’t test using display port

bios version: https://prnt.sc/oaXUUsr6yV_I

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023
View: https://imgur.com/a/15wm38F

Just Updated bios same problem
I don’t want to remove the motherboard rn as it takes too much time to remove and install back
Currently if I plug into motherboard there is no signal, when I first built I plugged into HDMI TO motherboard and works fine but I didn’t test using display port
View: https://imgur.com/a/Xm6zZOD

Just took out gpu plugged in DisplayPort and bios still shows

Aug 7, 2023
Never said anything about removing the motherboard.

So, Displayport works fine if you use the iGPU unlike if you use DP with the GPU?
Yeah I meant I didn’t want to remove the card but if I plug in DisplayPort to the motherboard everything works. Same with HDMI. JUST not the graphics card idk why. This is my second purchase same card. Just funny how HDMI works and not DisplayPort. If I want to ever access the system bios I need to keep switching

So, since everything works fine using the iGPU and this problem ONLY occurs when using the DP on the graphics card, there are only a few things it can be really.

Did you check the input setting on your monitor to verify that it is set to DP?

If so, it might just be that your motherboard simply does not like something about the DP configuration on your card, but in Windows the driver works fine. I'd recommend that you contact MSI support and explain what is happening to them. There may be an updated firmware release for your graphics card. Did you buy this card new or used? Did you return the first card and then buy this one from the SAME retailer?

Aug 7, 2023
So, since everything works fine using the iGPU and this problem ONLY occurs when using the DP on the graphics card, there are only a few things it can be really.

Did you check the input setting on your monitor to verify that it is set to DP?

If so, it might just be that your motherboard simply does not like something about the DP configuration on your card, but in Windows the driver works fine. I'd recommend that you contact MSI support and explain what is happening to them. There may be an updated firmware release for your graphics card. Did you buy this card new or used? Did you return the first card and then buy this one from the SAME retailer?
monitor input set to displayPort: View: https://imgur.com/iSH3Kdx

I updated the card drivers on nvidia geforce: https://prnt.sc/J-6P_h8HEA6d
is there another way to update the firmware?
i sent msi few messages, no response yet~
card was first bought on newegg, then I returned it: Link
then few days later I waited and ordered from amazon: https://prnt.sc/_zAGs024LxL3

Honestly you might want to consider a return and get a DIFFERENT model. Just a thought. I've seen similar issues as this one several times and more than a handful of times changing card model just fixed the problem, for whatever reason. Sometimes some hardware simply does not like other hardware. There is just no reason, but there is also no doubting it. It happens.

Aug 7, 2023
Yeah I meant I didn’t want to remove the card but if I plug in DisplayPort to the motherboard everything works. Same with HDMI. JUST not the graphics card idk why. This is my second purchase same card. Just funny how HDMI works and not DisplayPort. If I want to ever access the system bios I need to keep switching
don't know what to change to. I was looking at the 4070 but the price isn't too far from the ti. 4060ti bus size too small, 4080 too expensive. Don't know what to get

Aug 7, 2023
Honestly you might want to consider a return and get a DIFFERENT model. Just a thought. I've seen similar issues as this one several times and more than a handful of times changing card model just fixed the problem, for whatever reason. Sometimes some hardware simply does not like other hardware. There is just no reason, but there is also no doubting it. It happens.
and the card looks pretty too and is priced okay compared to its competitors. I wouldn't want to exchange this for any other

No, I just meant a different 4070 ti model, something other than the same Gaming X Trio that you've bought twice now and had the same problem with. Like the ASUS TUF Gaming OC or the Gigabyte Gaming OC. Or even one of the Zotac cards. It's really unfortunate that EVGA decided to step away from producing Nvidia cards because they were easily the most recommendable brand based on quality and customer service.

Have you tried ALL of the DP ports on the card to see if maybe it's just an issue with one of them? Does the same thing happen with all three DP ports?

Aug 7, 2023
the ASUS TUF one ugly card, the asus rog ones are more expensive. I don't like Zotac cards, I just ordered an MSI 3050 card just to test it out tomorrow.
I tried all 3 DP ports, all with the same issue

I've never really understood the idea of not wanting a certain card because it's "ugly" unless you are using a riser adapter for vertical mounting. With the card installed in the motherboard normally, nobody including you can ever even SEE what the card looks like anyhow. But ok.

I might have at least gone with something that wasn't MSI since you've already had two of their cards cause problems, but let's see what happens with the 3050. That SHOULD at least tell us if it's a problem with the cards or something else.

Like if your overall build is black, builders are inclined to get a black graphics card... Just my thought
If I like a card in general but don't like how it looks, I just change it to what I want it to look like. But, that's me.

For example. This is what my Sapphire R9 280 Dual X looked like before I modified the fan housing, which is really all you need to do the majority of the time to entirely change the look of the card (Aside from adding a backplate if it doesn't have one, but again, that's not so easy to see either).

This is what it looked like before. (This image though is from an older Tweaktown review but is the exact card in it's original clothing):

6210_02_sapphire_radeon_r9_280_dual_x_3gb_oc_video_card_review_full.jpg

And this is after I modified it's clothing to better match my build back then:

BbyENKN.jpg

So you don't always have to exclude yourself from a specific card model just because it's color scheme doesn't work well. That can always be changed. Just sayin'.

There's definitely something weird going on there from what I'm seeing in that video, because I've never seen anything like that happen during the POST process before, ever.

Have you disabled hibernation on this build yet? You'd be surprised how many things hibernation, fast startup and hybrid sleep can affect and cause problems for.

Well, then I'd say there's a board problem then. Either a problem with the DP circuit on the board or maybe a bent pin on the CPU pin bed. Can't really think of much of anything else that could cause this unless it's simply a lack of DP support on that board for that card, which seems pretty unlikely.