Question Booting up shows weird lines, cannot access BIOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 7, 2023
Last month the 15th I went on amazon and purchase a MSI graphics card, specifically 4070ti. The card works fine and all, just that when it's booting up I never see the Asus Logo (unless I plug in the graphics card using HDMI). This can create problems, such as not able to access BIOS and so on. (This problem happens when I use displayport cable to plug in rather than HDMi). I don't know how to fix this, as I have experienced this with two of the same cards. (I ordered the same card prior on eBay and I thought that the card was an issue - clearly it's not.)

The card loads up to the windows login screen but when I want to update the BIOS, well I never get the chance to (Since the ASUS logo is never displayed on displayport connection) and if I go on windows setting and boot up using UEFI the screen just flickers and I have to manually force shut down. Keep in mind this is all using the displayport connection and not HDMI. You can argue that I can go for HDMI instead but i'm not getting 165hz using HDMI (my monitor is capable of 165hz), HDMI only gives 144hz. What can be the issue here? Not too sure what the problem is. I bought two different displayPort cables and HDMI cables and the results are the same. I checked all connections on my PC and they are all tighten. I updated all possible drivers too. I have an ASUS z790-h board. Just to reiterate, the PC works fine whether I use HDMI or displayPort connection, just that the booting up screen bugs me out a lot.

Also worth mentioning that I had bought the same mobo and card and had the same problem. I thought that it was the mobo or the card so I returned both and reordered new parts. Sadly the issue is still here.

td;lr graphic card does not display the ASUS logo (and not able to access bios) if plugged into displayPort but will show booting up and access to BIOS with HDMI connection. iGPU (Motherboard does not have this issue at all, whether displayPort or HDMI connection - asus logo still shows when booting up and i can access bios)

Current Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8bRxGP

Last edited:
Well, I mean, you can test that theory for sure if you have any other kind of display that has DP inputs or maybe can borrow one from a friend, family member, etc. If not, might even be worth calling around to repair shops to see what they would charge just to connect your PC to one of their displays using DP just to see if it has the same problem. I can't imagine they'd charge you very much at all just to do that. Worth asking if necessary anyhow.