[SOLVED] Bootloop problem: opinions please - Gigabyte/G.Skill

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Hi there. Please take a look at the vid for the boot loop I am running into. Here is what I know:

View: https://i.imgur.com/4mTMw8h.mp4

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Ultra
CPU: 11700k
RAM: G.skill F4-3200C16Q-64GVK

Just to confirm in advance, this is the 4x16gb kit, not two separate 2x16gb kits combined.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z590-aorus-ultra_1002_210126_e.pdf

It looks like the post code its hanging on is 4C which is "reserved" based on the post codes in the manual.

• Memory / Mobo are cross compatible - Mobo supports RAM, RAM supports Mobo based on manuf.
  • System booted and shut down fine yesterday
  • System would not boot again after clean shutdown
  • Same boot loop occurs whether or not XMP is enabled
  • In A1/B1 or A2/B2 either rank of memory DOES let the system post with XMP enabled
  • CMOS has been cleared and BIOS is current
  • I am unable to memtest86 with all ranks installed for obvious reasons
In all years of system building , I have never had a mainboard DIMM suddenly fail like this when previously installed and working. Its always been bad from the start and fine for the life of the system, maybe I've just been lucky before.

What do we think?

Solution
4C is OEM stuffs initialisation, its in PEI phase which is still memory initialisation
31-34 is also in PEI phase...its too slow there...its cpu parts initialisation, but still memory issue
3E at end is also PEI

id says u have ram issue

2 ram modules works and 4 not?
4C is OEM stuffs initialisation, its in PEI phase which is still memory initialisation
31-34 is also in PEI phase...its too slow there...its cpu parts initialisation, but still memory issue
3E at end is also PEI

id says u have ram issue

Solution

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
3E at end is also PEI

id says u have ram issue

Correct.

If I use pairs, each pair will POST and boot any combination as long as not all 4 ranks are populated.

I have tried these combinations:

Test: Stick 1/2 in A2/B2
Result: POST!

Test: Stick 1/2 in A1/B1
Result: Post!

Test: Stick 3/4 in A2/B2
Result: post!

Test: Stick 3/4 in A1/B1
Result: Post

This has to be a memory problem. Otherwise, I would have had a POST failure with those combinations. Would you agree?

Last edited:
if you boot from 2 sticks, bios will save that info, once you put 4 sticks, it will try to boot with that....if it fails, it will reset and will try to mem train
but loking from post codes it didnt reset and its trying to boot from 2stick config

you tryed booting from 4 sticks right after cmos reset through jumper? first boot might take some boot attempts (resets) as it will run mem train process...this thing is a bit hit-miss sometimes, so it make take few cmos resets until it finds something
i once saw something similar...friend bought ryzen 2700 with 4 sticks...no boot due ram debug led....few cmos resets and it then worked....week after he toyed with bios..had to reset it and back to no boot due to bad ram

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
if you boot from 2 sticks, bios will save that info, once you put 4 sticks, it will try to boot with that....if it fails, it will reset and will try to mem train
but loking from post codes it didnt reset and its trying to boot from 2stick config

you tryed booting from 4 sticks right after cmos reset through jumper? first boot might take some boot attempts (resets) as it will run mem train process...this thing is a bit hit-miss sometimes, so it make take few cmos resets until it finds something
i once saw something similar...friend bought ryzen 2700 with 4 sticks...no boot due ram debug led....few cmos resets and it then worked....week after he toyed with bios..had to reset it and back to no boot due to bad ram
Correct, I cleared the CMOS, installed 4 sticks. I got the same boot loop... thats actually what the video in the OP is showing. Its a few cycles of the boot loop.

I also did the above procedure to test each previously working pair of RAM sticks in each motherboard memory slot .