News Boox's E-Ink External Monitor for Laptops Available, 25-Incher Incoming

Araborum

Honorable
Nov 19, 2015
I myself grabbed a Kobo Clara HD and haven't looked back since. Paper books slowly got replaced though a keep a handful of my favorites on the shelf. The monitor does seem like a strange move but i can still see its applicability in some cases. In this case, like with their larger screen e-readers, being able to read a PDF document without having to zoom and scroll around the page without straining your eyes is appealing. Granted its probably going to be a niche use case, but still, there is some potential.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, an e-ink screen such as on my Kindle is vastly superior to a regular monitor, for 'just reading'.

For coding, you'd lose all the color enhancements in an IDE.

This is neat, but very much of a niche product.
And at $1800? Pass.

InvalidError

Titan
For coding, you'd lose all the color enhancements in an IDE.
With 16 shades, you can still have some color-coding, just not quite as obvious.

Using e-Ink for anything animated like typing text can be somewhat of a bother with ~1Hz refresh rate. Got to pause typing and wait for a bit for the display to finish refreshing to see the text exactly as it currently is in the frame buffer, same goes with waiting the display to catch up with a moving pointer or cursor. Also need to manually force a refresh to clean up ghosting and other artifacts from partial re-draws every now and then when using the fast-draw mode for responsiveness.

voyteck

Reputable
Jul 1, 2020
And now people will use the built-in lighting and the entire point is moot since the only thing that really affects eyes is the contrast against the background, the contrast of the text being a distant second.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I enjoy my Kindle very much, and it almost replaced my paper books, but an E-Ink monitor with 16 shades of gray? It just seems like back to 1980s.

Dithering with 16 shades at 200 DPI should look decent enough. Should be superior to output from a laser printer (which can, of course, only produce black dots).

InvalidError

Titan
25.3" 3200x1800 display that is mostly black and white.. for $1800?? What am I missing here?
It is e-Ink.

If you are the sort of person who feels like LCDs and other emissive displays are gouging your eyes out during extended reading sessions, these things can be life-savers. I am one of those people who still prefers doing non-trivial reading in dead tree format, can't focus on on-screen reading for more than about 30min at a time.

frogr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Have you ever
It is e-Ink.

If you are the sort of person who feels like LCDs and other emissive displays are gouging your eyes out during extended reading sessions, these things can be life-savers. I am one of those people who still prefers doing non-trivial reading in dead tree format, can't focus on on-screen reading for more than about 30min at a time.
Have you ever tried reading on a 27" 4k monitor? It's still emissive but so much clearer.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Dithering with 16 shades at 200 DPI should look decent enough. Should be superior to output from a laser printer (which can, of course, only produce black dots).
I am not arguing that e-ink has advantages, and this advantages even can led some people to prefer it as a computer monitor. But for me an IPS screen is way to go, as I cannot do with 16 shades of grey.

InvalidError

Titan
But for me an IPS screen is way to go, as I cannot do with 16 shades of grey.
How much reading are you doing that requires more than B&W? Most engineering and architectural plans are B&W too. If I had to do engineering or even just general technical writing work on-the-go, I'd love to have one or more high-resolution e-Ink monitors to display reference material without nuking my laptop's battery like LCDs would.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The 13" is tempting, but if I was going to blow that much, probably go for the 25". Sad part is the displays themselves aren't that expensive, just that the market is too small so the price has to be high.

My book reader is 14 years old and still ticking, only on its second battery. (Reminds me, I should totally get a few on ebay)

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I am not arguing that e-ink has advantages, and this advantages even can led some people to prefer it as a computer monitor. But for me an IPS screen is way to go, as I cannot do with 16 shades of grey.

You can put an e-ink screen flat on the desk, under the primary display. With an IPS screen that arrangement would be super distracting. Being able to check reference material by simply looking down is potentially a big productivity booster. It's a much quicker motion compared to turning your head to look at a second screen.