Boring PCs Slow PC Industry, Says Gartner

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
PCs are boring?

So making less functional screen only hand-sized PCs is more productive and fun?

I'm having trouble understanding this man's logic.

Average users have had PCs with plenty of power for over half a decade.

Gaming and other GPU/CPU intensive work will be the main drive for new PC technologies. Which always has been anyways.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
The only thing holding PC's back is console gaming. The dumbed down graphics and graphics engine employed by consoles is what is holding everything back. The optimizations for computers is only evident in the most popular PC only games and even then DRM puts another hold on ingenuity and progress.

If i hear another "the ipad is changing the world" schpeal I will puke. The Ipad is intriguing at best but doesn't hold a candle to what a business or performance SFF laptop can do. I'm including Macbooks in that scenario as well. If i had to have a Mobile apple computing solution it would be a Macbook not a F***ing IPad. They are junk.

BTW where I work we develop for Ipad and we hate it.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]well... i think software is to blame too. nobody is pushing the envelope anymore... once you have a core2duo or equivalent, you can run pretty much anything. everyone has 2 to 4 gigs of ram. again, this is enough for any program too run smoothly.[/citation]
You hit it right on . It has always been gamers that drive Ati and nvida to push their thinking , Theres only BF3 atm that can push cards again but thats the only tittle in a while and for a while. Crysys is not a fun game . We need to get back to the days where Game makers and software makes push the envolope so pcs are maxing out constantly.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Seems it's time to launch another stunning version of Windows to force users to upgrade their "boring PCs" to be able to do the same they've been doing since Win95: Word, Excel, IE, IM.

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Tablets are generaly crap. No games unless you buy an ipad wich is 499.00.

No compatibility with printers etc. for the same price you can get a nice laptop or even for 250.00 you can get a nice netbook wich does way more than a tablet. Tablets are a trend and will end soon.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Even if you buy an iPad... can these "games" really compare to what you get on PC or consoles (Xbox 360, PS3)? Like it's been said above, people throw birds at pigs with swipes of their fingers and call themselves gamers...

Tablets aren't a trend that will end soon, SADLY. As long as you can convince a consumer that something is important and cool, it will sell. Tablets will be useful when they'll be as cheap as paper, literally. Anyone played Mass Effect 2? Remember all those "datapads" everyone uses as a replacement for pen and paper? That can be useful. But as long as they cost as an average laptop and offer a functionality of a smartphone with a big screen (or often even less), lol, no.

Just read some newsfeed from Microsoft: silly Angry Birds now even on PC. See where that's going? Customers are being milked for their money spent on a useless game with no storyline, graphics or art in it. Just a way to kill some time. Now even on PC. =)

As far as I understand it, *real* PC market will shrink considerably soon, thanks to cloud computing and tablets. People don't care how to check their e-mail and Facebook, and that's fine with me. As long as there are gamers, there will be demand for hi-end PC hardware. "A niche market", as one of my pro-cloud-computing friends mockingly said. Fine - go toss your birds at pigs and buy overpriced useless devices. People who really need good hardware will still get it, and that's all we care for.

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Pcs have the best graphics period. Tablet games generally suck asz . Consoles are good but graphics not as good as the Pc. So pcs will be around for a while. Tablets are a trend and the Ipad is the only decent tablet the rest suck because Android has no good games.

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Consoles are stuck at home handhelds games are not as good as the pc. Tablets games suck in general except a few ipod titles. The laptop pc is king best games best graphics and best overall capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.