News Botched Asus Update Kicks Routers Offline Worldwide, Company Apologizes

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
LOL I spent an hour upgrading firmware's to get my three RT AX98U mesh routers back online. It as stoopid how bad it was. If you only reset your router you could get online for about 60 seconds before it crashed again. Just long enough to DL the latest firmware. Never should of happened and its not the first time in the last 8 months that an Asus router firmware update (not installed mind you, its when you get the notification one is available and everything comes crashing down seconds later). I u se to love Asus Routers but these my be my last ones. They are finicky as h3ll and my newest ones REQUIRE a smart phone to set-up properly (ie actually get things working)

And people still defended ASUS lmao.
They really cant get a break at writing bad stuff for their equipment.
100%! I use to LOVE Asus. Even my last motherboard was awesome, a rampage III extreme that lasted me ten+ years. Now not so much. First it was the RT AX 98U routers for me when I got them at soon after they launched and now there handling of the Expo/XMP...it will be years if ever for me to trust them again.

Last edited:

Alphaswift

Reputable
Apr 5, 2020
Happened to me, fortunately I noticed it just as I was going to bed. I rebooted the router and it was fine when I woke up in the morning.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Right? It has been a bad eight days for Asus.
More like 12 years for me!! Junk company with gimmick software (that can actually screw up your PC) selling inferior products for the price.

Yet people still buy the overpriced crap just because of the at one time good name.

Just like this Z790 board.

Here was the con.

Cons​

• -
    Comparably equipped boards cost less

missingxtension

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Asus' routers mysteriously went offline earlier this week, and Asus initially went radio-silent.

Botched Asus Up Kicks Routers Offline Worldwide, Company Apologizes : Read more
Ive had that stuff turned off since the ac68 days, now I have a AC2900 (same router) and I was losing connection over and over again for 4 days. I also run 6 plume on top of that as bridge points, set them up as the main router and would also disconnect like crazy. Finally yesterday I left the plume running all day as the main router and there were no connection issues so I connected the ac2900 directly. AI wasn't the problem, plume notifies me as soon as the connection is dropped.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

Right? It has been a bad eight days for Asus.
Like Xbox fans are angry with Xbox
Asus Users are angry with Asus
System upgraders are angry at AMD AM5 upgrade Prices
Gamers are angry with buggy PC ports
So it makes me wonder who's the next big tech company people will be angry with lol

Edit:fearscream: had to change order

Last edited by a moderator:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
System upgraders are angry at AMD AM5 upgrade Prices
Like Xbox fans are angry with Xbox
Asus Users are angry with Asus
Gamers are angry with buggy PC ports
So it makes me wonder who's the next big tech company people will be angry with lol
Very well put! And don't forget Nvidia...They are get lots of 'hate' as of late. The 4060 hasn't fixed things but has helped.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
For the price of some of the modern "gaming" routers (ASUS), which tend to look like tarantulas, you can buy into a prosumer-level UniFi DreamMachine network controller and some wireless AP's.

I highly-recommend them for people who do not want the hassle of Cisco software, but with incredibly-impressive configuration all the same (mostly).

At home I run this config and I have ISP load-balancing (failover or distributed), VLAN's, tagging for my ESXi farm, etc etc.

It's a nice setup and the support I believe is better than Asus.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I am still waiting for them to fix my mesh. Initially I thought my primary mesh was malfunctioning because nothing seems to connect to it even when the status led was showing no issues. Till now, the connection is very spotty. Some devices seems to be able to connect immediately, while others either takes a long time to connect, or never connects at all. That’s why Asus should consider letting users decide whether to update their devices with whatever firmware or software updates since there is no way they can guarantee that things won’t go wrong. Perhaps it is really time to check out how to build my own router.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I had AI protection disabled and my Asus AX 5400 yet still experienced issues. After about 1 hour of running, the top LED indicator would turn solid red and I would lose all connectivity. Resets helped but only for an hour before the process would repeat itself. updating the firmware fixed it btw. It's just odd that I had problems with ai protection disabled. This could mean that ai protection runs on the router no matter which setting the user selects.

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
Most people have no idea how insecure consumer routers are, especially Asus and Wi-Fi models. Those who have them might want to check out the security issues and find a better router if security is important.

This is a good read: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...sed-by-millions-were-vulnerable-to-226-flaws/

"Especially Asus" lol then you give us a link tat says Asus was better than other brands in number of high risk vulnerabilities ...and in fixing issues .

. Actually far better than Netgear , US routers ...

translated-table.jpg

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I had AI protection disabled and my Asus AX 5400 yet still experienced issues. After about 1 hour of running, the top LED indicator would turn solid red and I would lose all connectivity. Resets helped but only for an hour before the process would repeat itself. updating the firmware fixed it btw. It's just odd that I had problems with ai protection disabled. This could mean that ai protection runs on the router no matter which setting the user selects.
I can confirm that disabling the AI Protection don’t help. It is possible that the update of the security software may have affected the router‘s software. Thus, it makes no difference whether you switch AI Protection off or on.
Asus really messed themselves up big time this month. First the motherboard fiasco, now they are disabling their routers sold at a premium. And they just kept silent the entire week, while I was thinking my router is failing.

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
NEVER EVER set OS or firmware update to automatic.

If you do so, you become the beta tester of the upgrades. Let the other schmucks being testers.

This means you have to follow the security news and do the updates manually.

Reactions: newtechldtech

georgebaker437

Honorable
Jan 9, 2019
I'm on my third ASUS Router over the last 10 years (upgrades, not failures) and I can easily forgive this "slip up". ASUS' router division has been incredibly transparent, responsive and supportive to its customer base and has continued to provide BIOS updates for older equipment, unlike most manufactures. This error happened because they were trying to improve their products via updates. I only wish other ASUS divisions would learn from this product group. I do leave auto update turned off on mine and do manual updates (requested updates, actually) as necessary.