Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2020
Laptop model Asus TUF A15 FA506IV
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 4900H
16gb RAM 3200 mhz
RTX 2060

Hello! I bought this laptop exactly one week ago from an authorized/licensed (I don't know the proper term) site (think Amazon, but the Romanian version). I never had a laptop before, I used a computer previously, but I didn't think it would be very different either way.
First thing I noticed was that the box had little damage signs - it was being slightly bent in two places and when I opened it (it was sealed) the laptop (which had no protection inside to my surprise, except the way the box it was shaped (had some gaps to minimize damage from falling or something, I guess) had the "`" key off, found it on the numpad. I shrugged, put it back, said that if it's working it won't be a problem.
Installed Windows 10 and then the drivers (nVidia) and the Windows updates then switched in the nVidia control panel to use the RTX and not the integrated AMD graphics card. After all this I decide to install some typical software and some games. The fans were making a very loud noise, but I didn't think much of it. It was when I tried playing Red Dead Redemption 2, League of Legends or Overwatch (on ultra) that I thought that it's not ok - I had very low frames. I found out online that you are supposed to configure your battery plan (I set everything on high performance and had the laptop plugged in) and it was still not doing much. After some time, I found the solution which was updating the chipset drivers (and the other stuff from AMD, used their autodetect software) and now it was working fine, although I did expect more frames (got 80-119 in RDR2, 170-250 in League).
The problem that I realized was that the laptop is overheating and the fans go crazy. Supposedly, this laptop has a very good cooling system from what I read. The thing is at booting the CPU has 39 degrees Celsius, in RDR2, League, Overwatch or when you try to install something it jumps to 70 (in menu), up to 90 degrees. If it is being idle it is around 50 degrees. The GPU is also not much better, I only tested in Overwatch (in the menu) and it had 70 degrees. I measured the decibels of the fans working at full power as well - 1 meter distance: 40-50 dB and very close: around 60 dB depending on whether the fan was about to take off or not.
I used MSI afterburner, CoreTemp and Overwatch's built-in stats to measure the temperature, for the dB used an app on my phone.
I should mention that I do not use the laptop in bed, it always stays (when it's on) on my desk with nothing blocking the airways and I have tried elevating it with some tiny objects with no success.
I do not have a cooler. I intend to get one, but I don't think that will bring it down to proper temperature levels.
I read online that a cooler and that apply thermal paste would help, but I think this is another problem.
I haven't tried anything else and don't know what to do. I was thinking that it could be due to some damage from the delivery, but I have no clue.
Thanks a lot for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.