Both low GPU% and CPU% in games, where's the bottleneck?

Nov 24, 2018
Hello everyone, I'm struggling to figure out why I cant seem to get full utilization out of my GPUs when gaming- they are hovering in the 60-75% range most of the time. My rig is a few years old, but don't believe I'm running out of CPU because it is only running 40-50% under the same conditions.

My hardware:
GPU- 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW 8gb in SLI
CPU- i7 3930 6 core OC to 3.8Ghz
MB- Asus Rampage IV Formula X79
Memory- 32Gb Gskill OC to 1666mHz
Monitor resolution- 5760x1080 (3x AOC 1920x1080) @60hz

When running Battlefield V with ultra settings, I am getting 50-60FPS. I feel I should be able to get 75+ if I can get the GPUS to kick up closer to 100%. SLI seems to be working fine. I am in the same FPS and GPU range for Titanfall2.

What I've tried so far:
- clean install of video drivers using DDU
- updated bios and all MB and system drivers
- ensured vsync is off and Future Frame Rendering is on (tried 1-5, set at 3)
- many, many different tweaks in Nvidia control panel based on internet research
- running furmark will get my GPUs up over 90%. Firestrike and Heaven benchmarks don't push them that high, though. Firestrike benchmark came in at 18k
- I OC'd my video cards, but +150 clock and +300 mem didn't make any difference, so went back to stock 1607/4006
- I could probably push my CPU to 4GHz but, again, I don't feel I'm CPU bound

I appreciate any advice the community can give...or let me know if I'm way off base thinking 75FPS is possible. It seems like others with similar PC power are getting there.

What other information can I supply to help diagnose my system? Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Just a thought, but have you attempted using the K-Boost feature in EVGA precision? This would force your GPUs to run at full speed all the time. Then, you could see how the adjustment affects your gaming performance. I haven't personally tried this, but it's a feature of the software to keep memory and boostclocks at full.