Question Bottleneck Check rtx 3060ti + ryzen 5 2600

Huzaifaarshad

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
Good day to everyone!
I recently have bought palit rtx 3060ti dual v1 and and i am having concers about bottleneck

So my rig is as follows
Ryzen 5 2600
2x8gb gskiop tridentZ RAM 3000mhz
Msi b450 tomahawk motherboard
Thermaltake Smart SE 530W

Kindly check my psu and guide me either i have to buy a new one or it will work fine.
Thanks

Hey there,

There is a slight bottleneck there, but not like you're thinking. It won't impact gaming too much. Maybe 5-10% at most.

Although the Ryzen 5 2600 is a good CPU, it's not got the best single thread performance, which is important for gaming. This is why there is a small bottleneck (I really don't like that term).

The thing to remember though, is that you will not notice and drop in FPS. The 2600 can still drive strong GPU's well.

For your PSU though, it's very basic and entry level. Not a good PSU at all (although there isn't too much by way of reviews on it). I would consider getting a decent gold unit like Corsair RMx/RMi/TXm, Seasonic GX/Focus Plus, EVGA G6. They are all excellent quality and will have 7-10 year warranties.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Depending on the resolution and in game image quality settings, the degree of bottleneck will differ. The RTX 3060 Ti is good for 1440p gaming, and this is where your current config should experience the least bottleneck from the CPU since most games will be GPU bound. When you lower the resolution, that is when the CPU becomes the bottleneck, and thus, you may be losing quite a fair bit of performance.

Anyway, this review will probably give you a sense of the bottleneck. The Ryzen 1600 and the 2600 are really not that much different since they are based on the original Zen cores, with some slight tweaks + higher clockspeed on the 2600. The most relevant GPU to focus on will be the RX 6600 XT since that will be closest to the RTX 3060 Ti. Do also bear in mind, the RTX 3060 Ti may end up with a bigger performance deficit because it requires more CPU processing power due to the lack of a onboard dedicated scheduler.
Upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600 from Ryzen 5 1600: How Much Faster? | TechSpot

Last edited:

Huzaifaarshad

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
Depending on the resolution and in game image quality settings, the degree of bottleneck will differ. The RTX 3060 Ti is good for 1440p gaming, and this is where your current config should experience the least bottleneck from the CPU since most games will be GPU bound. When you lower the resolution, that is when the CPU becomes the bottleneck, and thus, you may be losing quite a fair bit of performance.

Anyway, this review will probably give you a sense of the bottleneck. The Ryzen 1600 and the 2600 are really not that much different since they are based on the original Zen cores, with some slight tweaks + higher clockspeed on the 2600. The most relevant GPU to focus on will be the RX 6600 XT since that will be closest to the RTX 3060 Ti. Do also bear in mind, the RTX 3060 Ti may end up with a bigger performance deficit because it requires more CPU processing power due to the lack of a onboard dedicated scheduler.
Upgrading to Ryzen 5 5600 from Ryzen 5 1600: How Much Faster? | TechSpot
So what is your opinion on change that either i go for highr cpu(i.e r5 3600 ) or lower my gpu down to (i.e RTX 3060) ?
BTW I am using a 1080p panel.

Last edited:
So what is your opinion on change that either i go for highr cpu(i.e r5 3600 ) or lower my gpu down to (i.e RTX 3060) ?
BTW I am using a 1080p panel.
Run all the games you want to play at the lowest settings at 1080p. This will lower the load on the graphics card, shifting it to the CPU because it has to send more commands to the GPU to render frames. If you're not satisfied with the frame rate performance you're getting, then you'll need to upgrade the CPU.

Reactions: Huzaifaarshad

Huzaifaarshad

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
Run all the games you want to play at the lowest settings at 1080p. This will lower the load on the graphics card, shifting it to the CPU because it has to send more commands to the GPU to render frames. If you're not satisfied with the frame rate performance you're getting, then you'll need to upgrade the CPU.
So Ryzen 5 3600 is ok to upgrade or I have to buy ryzen 5 5600 ?

Huzaifaarshad

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
That's solely on you. If you're fine with the performance you're getting in a CPU bound condition, then you don't need to upgrade.
I am not getting good results in bf2042 as gpu is just using 50 to 60% and cpu is at about 70 to higher 80s in percentage
I can buy r 5 3600 now but if bottleneck persiats with my rig then I'll be in loss sadly
So Actually i want to get clear it off that by upgrading cpu to 3600 my bottleneck problem will be solved or not ( not changing anything else in my rig i mentioned) ?

I am not getting good results in bf2042 as gpu is just using 50 to 60% and cpu is at about 70 to higher 80s in percentage
I can buy r 5 3600 now but if bottleneck persiats with my rig then I'll be in loss sadly
So Actually i want to get clear it off that by upgrading cpu to 3600 my bottleneck problem will be solved or not ( not changing anything else in my rig i mentioned) ?

For BF2042, that's a different story. It's poorly optimized. Whilst a 3600 would help, it wouldn't by by a great deal. I get same usage pattern with 5600x/3060ti. I wouldn't expect full CPU usage but close on GPU usage. At 1080p, Even a 5600x can't push my GPU to it's max. Above 1080p and it's much better. What you can try is to use DLDSR and bump the res up to 1440p (don't worry it will downscale to your 1080p panel), you will then see 99% GPU usage.

Reactions: Huzaifaarshad

Huzaifaarshad

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
For BF2042, that's a different story. It's poorly optimized. Whilst a 3600 would help, it wouldn't by by a great deal. I get same usage pattern with 5600x/3060ti. I wouldn't expect full CPU usage but close on GPU usage. At 1080p, Even a 5600x can't push my GPU to it's max. Above 1080p and it's much better. What you can try is to use DLDSR and bump the res up to 1440p (don't worry it will downscale to your 1080p panel), you will then see 99% GPU usage.
how to use DLDSR ? do you have any guide ?

CPU % Utilization is not a good metric to determine any sort of bottlenecking or performance issues, unless it's at >90%.

Again, if the frame rate performance is not what you want at the lowest graphics quality settings, then yes, go upgrade the CPU. If you don't mind it, then no, you don't need it. Bottlenecks are not a problem, they just tell what's not giving you the performance you want. If you're satisfied with the performance, then there's nothing to discuss.

Huzaifaarshad

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
CPU % Utilization is not a good metric to determine any sort of bottlenecking or performance issues, unless it's at >90%.

Again, if the frame rate performance is not what you want at the lowest graphics quality settings, then yes, go upgrade the CPU. If you don't mind it, then no, you don't need it. Bottlenecks are not a problem, they just tell what's not giving you the performance you want. If you're satisfied with the performance, then there's nothing to discuss.
THANKS ALOT

this is a cpu bottleneck, 2600 is slightly faster than ivy bridge, slower in ipc

maybe look at a 5500 or 5600...... your motherboard can be updated to suppport these processors... faster ram wouldnt hurt but its not important when compared with cpu upgrade.

i had a 6 core ivy bridge xeon @ 3.5+ boost with ddr3... it performs similarly when compared to your cpu 1070ti was the limit the platform could support... 3060 ti added nothing unless mining ethereum

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
So Ryzen 5 3600 is ok to upgrade or I have to buy ryzen 5 5600 ?
What is the difference in price? You don’t need to consider a high end Zen 3 CPU. I believe I’ve seen the Ryzen 5 5500 going for quite cheap. Now that AMD officially allow Zen 3 to run on even the first generation chipset, i.e. B350 and X370, your setup should have no problem with a Zen 3 processor. Just make sure you flash to the latest BIOS just before you sell the Ryzen 5 2600 away.

Huzaifaarshad

Honorable
Jun 19, 2017
Hey there,

There is a slight bottleneck there, but not like you're thinking. It won't impact gaming too much. Maybe 5-10% at most.

Although the Ryzen 5 2600 is a good CPU, it's not got the best single thread performance, which is important for gaming. This is why there is a small bottleneck (I really don't like that term).

The thing to remember though, is that you will not notice and drop in FPS. The 2600 can still drive strong GPU's well.

For your PSU though, it's very basic and entry level. Not a good PSU at all (although there isn't too much by way of reviews on it). I would consider getting a decent gold unit like Corsair RMx/RMi/TXm, Seasonic GX/Focus Plus, EVGA G6. They are all excellent quality and will have 7-10 year warranties.
I am getting an offer on "Corsair AX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply" which is a system pulled psu. So what do you think of getting this one. Is it ok or it is too old to buy?