[SOLVED] Bottleneck Doubt

Sep 7, 2020
I have a
amd a6-5400b 3.6-3.8 Ghz 2 core 2 thread 65 Watt Socket FM2 processor
16 gb dual channel ddr3 ram
and i plan on getting a gtx 1050 ti gpu
but im worried that cpu will bottleneck the gpu, will it?
i can upgrade ram till 32 gb
if its less than approx 25% its probably okay.

i plan on gaming at around 1080p and 720p resolution

Solution
As above, your cpu is weak with little economic upgrade possibility.
But, that does not mean that you would not get some benefit from a nice card like a GTX1050ti.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

What is your budget?

One good thing is that a new card can be carried forward to a new cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.
$250 will buy you a much more capable cpu, mobo and ddr4 ram.
I think bottleneck is the wrong term here. The problem is that cpu is very weak by modern standards, it is well below the minimum requirements for many games. For these games it does not matter what gpu you use the games will be either unplayable or a bad experience. What games are you wanting to play?

Sep 7, 2020
I think bottleneck is the wrong term here. The problem is that cpu is very weak by modern standards, it is well below the minimum requirements for many games. For these games it does not matter what gpu you use the games will be either unplayable or a bad experience. What games are you wanting to play?
all of the trending ones like fortnite, apex, etc

InvalidError

Titan
minimum requirement for top games is atleast a 2.6 ghz dual core processor
Many modern games won't even load on dual cores CPUs and it helps to have either SMT or a few extra cores beyond that to handle background tasks for smaller and less frequent FPS dips.

There is no CPU you can plug into the FM2 socket that will handle modern games well. I'd strongly recommend stepping up to a Ryzen 3100/3300X. GPU-wise, the 1650Super provides much better performance per dollar than the 1050Ti. If you can't afford to get both, then another option would be the 3400G which is a whole lot better APU than your A6.

Sep 7, 2020
Many modern games won't even load on dual cores CPUs and it helps to have either SMT or a few extra cores beyond that to handle background tasks for smaller and less frequent FPS dips.

There is no CPU you can plug into the FM2 socket that will handle modern games well. I'd strongly recommend stepping up to a Ryzen 3100/3300X. GPU-wise, the 1650Super provides much better performance per dollar than the 1050Ti. If you can't afford to get both, then another option would be the 3400G which is a whole lot better APU than your A6.
cant i go with the a10 5800b or the a10 5800k? ibcoz i really have a tight budget

As above, your cpu is weak with little economic upgrade possibility.
But, that does not mean that you would not get some benefit from a nice card like a GTX1050ti.

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

What is your budget?

One good thing is that a new card can be carried forward to a new cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.
$250 will buy you a much more capable cpu, mobo and ddr4 ram.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
cant i go with the a10 5800b or the a10 5800k? ibcoz i really have a tight budget
Where gaming is concerned, even AMD's fastest pre-Ryzen CPUs often struggle to keep up with Intel's i3 from the same period. While it would certainly be a decent improvement over what you have, it will still be disappointing in most current games.

I wouldn't bother upgrading from a disappointment to something slightly less disappointing, I'd save for a bigger upgrade. When shopping for bottom-dollar components, relatively few extra dollars often makes a huge difference in what you can get.