Bottleneck question about Asus Z87A motherboard

bremijo

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I was thinking about doing incremental upgrades over time and I was wondering if I would be creating bottlenecks. I've got an Asus Z87A motherboard and I was thinking about putting in an nvidia 1060/70 and an i5-6600k (I'm not dead-set on these but these are in the ballpark of what I'm looking for). Would my motherboard in any way create bottlenecks with these newer parts? I was hoping to save money if possible and avoid having to buy a whole new motherboard. Eventually I'll need to upgrade (mobo is like 3 years old), but I was hoping to stretch out my upgrades overtime so I'm not dropping a ton of money all at once!

Main reason for the upgrade is that I bought BF1 and can't play it with my current CPU and GPU... Currently have an i5-4670k and a GTX 760 installed and was thinking about OCing those, though my whole rig is about 3 years old. I'm all ears to any other recommendations on upgrades/performance increases as well.

Solution
Mobos don't bottleneck processes, there might be minor differences in things like overclocking speeds but they do not create bottlenecks.
Your first problem is that the 6600K is a socket 1151 processor while the ASUS Z87A is a socket 1150 mobo, they are not compatible. And if you are going for an socket 1151 CPU then you might as well go for Kaby Lake (7600K) instead Sky Lake (6600K).

The i5-4670K is still a pretty good CPU and meets BF1 requirements, the GTX 760 is your issue. I would be looking for GTX 1070 and seeing how the system runs with just that upgrade. If that's not good then you might want to look at a socket 1150 i7, the i7-4790K would be best.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/sCNp99,yT2kcf,BRjG3C,6vzv6h/

bremijo

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Thanks for the info. Didn't even realize the CPU I looked at was incompatible but now at a second glance I missed that! I had a hunch that it would mainly be the 760, given that I've heard it's now considered a low-end card.

Just to be absolutely certain though: will my mobo bottleneck newer GPUs at all? I feel like it's not much of an issue and I'm worrying about nothing but I'm trying to save $$$ where I can.