bottom or side intake fan for case, which is better?

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015
I am going to buiuld my first pc, I have a corsair 200r and it comes with one intake fan in the front and one exhaust fan at the back, I was thinking of adding another exhaust fan at the top and another intake fan but I am not sure where is the best place to put the intake fan, bottom or side?
The case says it takes either 120mm or 140mm fans, which ones should I get?

http://i.imgur.com/BDfY79k.png

thanks in advance

gareththegiant

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
I would first ask where you are locating the PC. if you are storing it on a carpet floor definitely don't put an intake on the bottom as it will just suck in fluff and dust making your PC overheat badly. Once had to service a PC full of dog hair due to this, it was gross. If on a table if the PC has a case with good high feet a base intake should be fine.

Side intakes are okay as long is there is at least a good few inches between the side and a wall however make sure it wont interupt any CPU airflow if you have a water cooled CPU no worries.

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015

the pc is going to be on a wooden desk, and the side of the case where the fan would be is no where near the wall, it is a very open area, so I am not sure what will help cool my gpu and cpu better, side or bottom, I am using a r9 280x and a 6th gen i5-6500, I am not overclocking and I am using the stock cpu fan.

gareththegiant

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
In which case i would say it wouldn't make a huge difference. in from the side it would push cold air onto the top side of the gpu and cpu intake fan. on the bottom it would push more air intake fans on the gpu.