[SOLVED] Bought 4K Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter -- Did I even need it??

TitusPullo

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
So I just mounted a new flat screen TV flush to the wall on my room, tucked all the wires inside the drywall behind the TV. Looks great. Then I wanted to use the TV as an extra desktop for my PC and to project stuff to it from my PC.

I bought 2 items: A USB WiFi adapter (my PC is connected to LAN but not my home WiFi), and the Microsoft 4K Wireless Display Adapter.

I thought I needed the Microsoft adapter to achieve my goal, but I found that as soon as I installed the WiFi adapter, and connected to both the WiFi network and LAN, my PC was able to project stuff to the TV without the Wireless Display Adapter. I guess my PC was Miracast-enabled.

Question -- Should I return the Microsoft adapter? What is it good for if my PC can project stuff already with a WiFi connection? Is it only intended for use with PCs and devices that cannot connect to the TV on their own??

Solution
Should I return the Microsoft adapter? What is it good for if my PC can project stuff already with a WiFi connection?
the last few TVs i've had had no trouble connecting via Wi-Fi for audio & video from a PC.
HDR & everything still works great.

my guess would be that the device is for sets that have broken wireless or very old sets with none at all.
i would probably just return it.
Should I return the Microsoft adapter? What is it good for if my PC can project stuff already with a WiFi connection?
the last few TVs i've had had no trouble connecting via Wi-Fi for audio & video from a PC.
HDR & everything still works great.

my guess would be that the device is for sets that have broken wireless or very old sets with none at all.
i would probably just return it.

Solution