bought a barebones alienware case, what software to use to change lights?

shen.matt92

Commendable
Aug 4, 2018
so as you all know I cant get the software needed to change lights on a non Alienware. the area-51 triad case I got had this built in mini board near the front for the case lights, ODD and power button. I simply connected the usb 8 pin female from it to a male motherboard header, and the front lights and the alienhead power button light up, but not the side panels.

So my question is, is there any software I can use from another company, asus, gigabyte, nzxt etc where itll just detect the usb as a regular LED light and change the color? I would imagine I don't exactly need alienwares software to do this. After all, its just an LED.

whats interesting is, what if an actual alienware owner wanted to change their motherboard? say theirs broke down and it was already past warranty...its really not very fair that they have to forfeit the use of their lighting and get an entirely new alienware just for the lights.

Lutfij

Titan
To answer your last question, what benefit does the company get for an obsolete product? You need to keep in mind that stocking old tech in shelves and under a shed all cost money. Making them also costs money so they will eventually come to a point where they decide to stop manufacturing and also stocking older hardware.

Like all things in the XPS and Alienware and pretty much older prebuilt's are proprietary connectors. You will only find them on their hardware. If your case has a 4 pin RGB/Adressable RGB connector then you can use the 4 pin connector on the motherboard makers aforementioned, in order to use their app's. If you want NZXT's Cam app to function then the LED's need to be connected to their Cue device which again brings me to ask if the light connectors are 4 pin or proprietary.