[SOLVED] Bought a fake gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pata212

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
I bought a "Titan X" for 125 euros on a local Facebook marketplace or so I though. It said TITAN X on the shroud so I though I was going to make easy money on this, but the seller said that he has no idea what this graphics card is so he is selling it and he confirms it works and he doesn't accept returns. So the card just arrived and it looks like a titan x, but it's not a titan x, no idea what it is, because the drivers wont work and GPU-Z wont recognize the card at all. What should I do?

Solution
...I though I was going to make easy money on this...
Greed usually has this kind of outcome.

You thought that you were going to take advantage of the presumed naivete of the seller of the card, and flip it for a ridiculous profit; but the seller capitalized on your greed instead.

At least it was an inexpensive lesson, relatively speaking.
D

Deleted member 2731765

Post the GPU-Z screenshot. Also, click on the "Lookup" button at the right side top on the GPU-Z screen (next to the graphics card name entry). What does it say ? Does it take you to TechPowerUp's Database ??

Btw, you shouldn't have bought the card, without verifying all the details. Can you also post a PIC of the card, IF possible ??

EDIT: I think like you mentioned the GPU-Z screen isn't recognizing the card, in the first place, right ? What ERROR/warning message are you getting when to try install the GPU DRIVERS ??

Last edited by a moderator:

liso4ka lol

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
well to start you shouldnt have buy this gpu at first place but if you wanna use it you will have to flash the gpu (there are alot of tutorials on how to do it in youtube) and if you just want to flip it remove the heatsink and thermal paste and just google the model number

Nov 5, 2018
I suspect that the seller sold you the wrong card on purpose. Open the card and look at the die and see what it says.
+ I think he flashed another card's bios on it

Pata212

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Greed usually has this kind of outcome.

You thought that you were going to take advantage of the presumed naivete of the seller of the card, and flip it for a ridiculous profit; but the seller capitalized on your greed instead.

At least it was an inexpensive lesson, relatively speaking.
it was expensive for 13 year old boy it was all my savings

Remember the lesson, then.

I'm sorry to sound so callous about it, but the fact is that your money is gone, and nothing is going to change that. The only thing you can take from this is a life lesson, learned early enough that it didn't cost you more.

Adults frequently allow greed to place them in situations wherein they wind-up dying. I have lived long enough to see this happen many times.

What should I do?
What you should do is find a nice piece of mahogany, mount that card on it, and keep it in a place where you will see it regularly; to remind yourself how easy it is to get scammed, and what it feels like to be cheated by somebody else. You will make the world a better place--at least in your area of influence--if you keep these ideas in mind.

What you should not do is try to sell that card to another unsuspecting person. Please don't become THAT GUY, because those kinds of people make the world a worse place to live in.

Does it say, "microsoft basic display adapter" under the name entry ? Can't read that. BIOS might have been flashed as well. I don't think that's a dedicated GPU. Am I looking at, "Intel's Kaby Lake GT2" instead ??
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/intel-kaby-lake-gt2.g805

I think that's probably a case of the card not getting detected, and their CPU's integrated graphics showing up in GPU-Z instead.

What are the complete specs of the system that this card is getting tested in? If the card has 6/8-pin PCIe power connectors on the side, are there corresponding cables from your power supply plugged into them, and does the power supply even have the capacity to run such a card?

And is the monitor plugged into the graphics card itself, or into a port on the motherboard?

It could be a fake card, or a defective card, but there's also a chance that it could simply not be hooked up properly. I will say that the price seems rather suspicious though, as I would not expect someone to sell a working Titan X for that price. Even if it's not a Titan X, maybe it could be a working lower-end card that still has at least some value though, even its less than what you paid.

Perhaps you could take some photos of the card. Does it have a backplate (like a Titan X Pascal) or a visible circuit board on back (Like the earlier Titan X)? If it's the earlier cooler design with no backplate, does the back of the card look like what's shown here, and are there any labels or anything on it?

https://legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/geforce-gtx-titanx-back.jpg

If you have all the cables hooked up correctly and a suitable PSU, and still can't get it functioning in any way, then removing a bunch of screws to get the cooler off might be needed to get a better idea of what the card actually is.

D

Deleted member 2731765

What are the complete specs of the system that this card is getting tested in? If the card has 6/8-pin PCIe power connectors on the side, are there corresponding cables from your power supply plugged into them, and does the power supply even have the capacity to run such a card?

And is the monitor plugged into the graphics card itself, or into a port on the motherboard?

It could be a fake card, or a defective card, but there's also a chance that it could simply not be hooked up properly. I will say that the price seems rather suspicious though, as I would not expect someone to sell a working Titan X for that price. Even if it's not a Titan X, maybe it could be a working lower-end card that still has at least some value though, even its less than what you paid.

Perhaps you could take some photos of the card. Does it have a backplate (like a Titan X Pascal) or a visible circuit board on back (Like the earlier Titan X)? If it's the earlier cooler design with no backplate, does the back of the card look like what's shown here, and are there any labels or anything on it?

https://legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/geforce-gtx-titanx-back.jpg

If you have all the cables hooked up correctly and a suitable PSU, and still can't get it functioning in any way, then removing a bunch of screws to get the cooler off might be needed to get a better idea of what the card actually is.

Hey, I'm NOT the OP..... :D You should be asking these questions to the OP instead, "@Pata212".

Last edited by a moderator:
it has some wierd drivers too :/ View: https://imgur.com/a/cNBhMHr
It wont work at all on my pc

That's not the video card, that is your onboard video. It also looks like you have an OEM Lenovo system, even if this card is not a Titan, the fact that it's not seen may be simply because your power supply or motherboard just can't work with that card, not that the card is bad. First, check on the model that should be on a sticker or printer on the board somewhere. If you can't find anything, you will need to remove the heatsink and actually look at the chip to see what that is. Once you find out what video card you have, you can then start to see why your system won't see it. Test it in another gaming setup with a good video card for example.

Pata212

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
What you should do is find a nice piece of mahogany, mount that card on it, and keep it in a place where you will see it regularly; to remind yourself how easy it is to get scammed, and what it feels like to be cheated by somebody else. You will make the world a better place--at least in your area of influence--if you keep these ideas in mind.

What you should not do is try to sell that card to another unsuspecting person. Please don't become THAT GUY, because those kinds of people make the world a worse place to live in.
i sold it as untested for almost 400 euros

Status
Not open for further replies.