[SOLVED] Bought a hp compaq 6200 pro and can't seem to get my gigabyte gt 1030 to be recognized

coldtea7

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
I've tried everything I can think of.
I've also spent the past few days searching what I can find and all I find is that my motherboard doesn't support uefi and is too old for this gpu. Which I guess but I haven't had this despite working on other older systems and I see so many people disputing this.
Regardless is it possible to get it working and if not would a gtx 650 work 100%?

Edit - I've also tested the gpu in my main system and it worked well so it's not the gpu also the gpu isn't even being shown in windows or bios, the motherboard doesn't even know it exists yet the fans spin and it powers on.

Solution
is there anything in the bios that refers to legacy? its difficult to say what it looks like as the 2011 bios versions might still be in transition as UEFI was only really introduced in 2009 and a lot of bios weren't fully changed by then.

not sure if this will help
In case somone is watching this thread, I found the problem so I will share.
Simple really, just not familiar with the HP BIOS.

Under the System Security tab, is something called Slot Security.
The default is all 4 slots 'Enabled' I guess that means the security is 'Enabled', not the slot is enabled.
Anyhow, switched them to 'Disabled' and all works fine. ended up with the GT710 card, but I suspect the Radeon 6450 would work now too.

Apparently the USB security...

coldtea7

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
6200 has a UEFI bios, it was released in 2011. Most PC since 2010 have had some form of UEFI

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...rce-GT-1030-on-PC-HP-Compaq-6200/td-p/7643364

I did find people using earlier card like 9 and 7 series cards, so it should work with them. the pcie slot in PC is slim line which might restrict some cards.

Very odd then also another thing I've seen nothing in the bios about UEFI despite being on a version that should support.
Also the IGPU doesn't get disabled, the IGPU displays but not the 1030.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is there anything in the bios that refers to legacy? its difficult to say what it looks like as the 2011 bios versions might still be in transition as UEFI was only really introduced in 2009 and a lot of bios weren't fully changed by then.

In case somone is watching this thread, I found the problem so I will share.
Simple really, just not familiar with the HP BIOS.

Under the System Security tab, is something called Slot Security.
The default is all 4 slots 'Enabled' I guess that means the security is 'Enabled', not the slot is enabled.
Anyhow, switched them to 'Disabled' and all works fine. ended up with the GT710 card, but I suspect the Radeon 6450 would work now too.

Apparently the USB security works the opposite way. Since the slots started working when I 'Disabled' security, I did that on the USB security....Whoops, no mouse. Should have left them alone. Need to show 'Enabled'.

Have fun!
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...wont-boot-with-new-graphics-card/td-p/6885947

try removing the intel drivers before installing card?
You're very welcome.

There are no settings you have to change.

You install the card in the black PCIe x16 slot and the onboard video is automatically disabled.

Before installing the video card, go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device manager category, right click on the Intel HD graphics adapter listed there, select Uninstall and check the uninstall driver box.

Shut down, unplug the PC and install your video card.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...00-PRO-SFF-Graphics-card-Upgrade/td-p/7693124

Solution

coldtea7

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...wont-boot-with-new-graphics-card/td-p/6885947

try removing the intel drivers before installing card?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...00-PRO-SFF-Graphics-card-Upgrade/td-p/7693124
No nothing refers to legacy.
Yes I have
I am on bios 2.28

Normally, a bios will switch to a dedicated graphics card if it detects one.

If your motherboard can support a uefi device, as others have found, there should be an option to set it.
The 700 series like the GTX750ti were, I think the last series to natively run on a legacy bios.
Subsequently, some later cards did have some sort of compatibility built in.
The gt1030 you have was probably not one of them.

You can buy a used GTX750ti that is stronger than the 1030 on ebay for about $80.
If you need low profile, gigabyte made one

coldtea7

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
Normally, a bios will switch to a dedicated graphics card if it detects one.

If your motherboard can support a uefi device, as others have found, there should be an option to set it.
The 700 series like the GTX750ti were, I think the last series to natively run on a legacy bios.
Subsequently, some later cards did have some sort of compatibility built in.
The gt1030 you have was probably not one of them.

You can buy a used GTX750ti that is stronger than the 1030 on ebay for about $80.
If you need low profile, gigabyte made one
That's kind of what I was getting, I have the gigabyte low profile gt 1030 gddr5 for reference. Regardless I want to get a 750 off ebay however I don't wanna spend too too much on this system so I might stick with my 650 choice.
For reference again, a 750 is around $70 where I live and a ti is 20-30 more than that while a 650 is only 50.
Regardless I found 2 things, either my gpu doesn't support legacy or my motherboard doesn't support ueif. I was able to find some articles saying that any hp compaq 6200 pro that originally came with windows 7 doesn't support ueif and well mine has a 7 sticker on it so the assumption can be made. I also found an article saying most 1030s did support legacy but a few were made that didn't (can't confirm but can assume that mine is in that list)
I found it odd because I wasn't even getting an error or anything, the gpu just didn't get noticed, it run the fans went it was drawing power but the igpu just didn't turn off and the gpu turned on but I also couldn't turn off the igpu in bios.

When you boot into bios, you can tell if it is legacy or UEFI by the appearance.
Legacy was limited in size and has a basic monochrome appearance.
UEFI allowed a larger storage space for the Bios and will have a more web page like appearance and color.
If you see a legacy bios, go through all of the menus to see if there is an option that will allow UEFI graphics cards.
OEM bios are often dumbed down to prevent a user from screwing things up.