[SOLVED] Bought a new gpu and psu seems to smell like plastic

Aug 22, 2022
a few hours ago, i bought a gtx 1650 and put it in my pc , ive had no problems other than me smelling a weird plastic smell when i smell the psu (note it doesnt seem to be a burning smell). the psu now has the same smell that the gpu packaging has, is it just the gpu smell being taken around by the air circulation or is something else going on? (ive had the gpu installed for about 2 hours)

Aug 22, 2022
i have a i3 8100 3.6ghz and the psu is ~350w (324w on 12v rails) , not a good psu but it handled a gpu with the same tdp as the gtx 1650 , that being 75w, altrought ive seen the gtx 1650 use 90w as its the oc version so i did underclock it a bit to only use around 76w

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
a few hours ago, i bought a gtx 1650 and put it in my pc , ive had no problems other than me smelling a weird plastic smell when i smell the psu (note it doesnt seem to be a burning smell). the psu now has the same smell that the gpu packaging has, is it just the gpu smell being taken around by the air circulation or is something else going on? (ive had the gpu installed for about 2 hours)

are you sure you've removed all the plastic from the 1650? The 1650 I purchased months ago had plastic (like cellophane wrap) covering some parts of the gpu after I took it out of the box, had to remove those manually.

Reactions: MicrowaveG
Aug 22, 2022
y
are you sure you've removed all the plastic from the 1650? The 1650 had plastic covering it after I took it out of the box, had to remove those manually.
yea it did have plastic peeling but i did make sure to remove it , i took a look now and i still dont see any plastic peeling on it