[SOLVED] Bought a new Seagate Backup Plus. SMART data analysis. Please help?

Solution
CrystalDiskInfo has reported the raw data as 48 bits. Speccy's report is incomplete and is limited to 40 bits.

The Power On Hours attribute is reporting the actual whole hours in the lower 32 bits and fractional parts of hours in the upper 16 bits. Actually there are 56 bits, so you will need a tool such as HDDScan to see the rest. In fact, if you select CrystalDiskInfo's text copy option, you will see all 512-bytes of the SMART data.

In short, CrystalDiskInfo is a better tool than Speccy.
Jul 2, 2021
If you buy it brand-new, you don't have to worry, warranty is there just in case.

Regarding SMART data, you can see that some most critical values read 0, it usually means that it's OK.

Thank you so much for your response! This relaxes me out. Regarding infinite number, I was talking about Power ON hours which was 0xECC5000000000000 which comes out to be a big number in decimal format.

However I have put up an update to my post with Speccy program and it reads it properly.

So this is an inability of Crystal Disk Info to not read that parameter maybe!

Thank you so much for your response! This relaxes me out. Regarding infinite number, I was talking about Power ON hours which was 0xECC5000000000000 which comes out to be a big number in decimal format.

However I have put up an update to my post with Speccy program and it reads it properly.

So this is an inability of Crystal Disk Info to not read that parameter maybe!

Crystal Disk Info seems to have read some data wrongly.

That's why we never rely on a single piece of software to check the hardware info.

Reactions: rsure
Jul 2, 2021
Crystal Disk Info seems to have read some data wrongly.

That's why we never rely on a single piece of software to check the hardware info.

Yes true. Somehow I just remembered I had Speccy installed on my system and checked with that. I feel I must report this to devs of Crystal Disk Info. That will help them for this model.

Yes true. Somehow I just remembered I had Speccy installed on my system and checked with that. I feel I must report this to devs of Crystal Disk Info. That will help them for this model.

I once contacted the developer of Crystal Disk Info about the buffer size being missing on some of my HDD and SSD, he replied saying that it's impossible to fix :D

The problem is that if the drive has a cache memory larger than 16MB, it won't show up.

CrystalDiskInfo has reported the raw data as 48 bits. Speccy's report is incomplete and is limited to 40 bits.

The Power On Hours attribute is reporting the actual whole hours in the lower 32 bits and fractional parts of hours in the upper 16 bits. Actually there are 56 bits, so you will need a tool such as HDDScan to see the rest. In fact, if you select CrystalDiskInfo's text copy option, you will see all 512-bytes of the SMART data.

Solution
I once contacted the developer of Crystal Disk Info about the buffer size being missing on some of my HDD and SSD, he replied saying that it's impossible to fix :D

The problem is that if the drive has a cache memory larger than 16MB, it won't show up.
I contacted the author some time ago and made him aware of an extension to the ATA standard which now enables cache sizes 32MB or larger to be reported by the drive. He said he would include this feature in the next major release.

Jul 2, 2021

I will definitely try with HDDScan.

Jul 2, 2021

I will definitely try with HDDScan.

Hi!
I have put up an update with HDDScan in my original post. Kindly let me know more information.

Thank you Tomshardware and especially to both of you @fzabkar and @Ivt for responding and helping me.

If we treat the raw value of Power On Hours as two hexadecimal numbers, we get ...

0x09745D & 0x00000002 -> 2 hours + 10.3 minutes​
(0x9745D milliseconds = 10.3 minutes)​

Similarly for Head Flying Hours ...

0x2533B4 & 0x00000000 -> 0 hours + 40.6 mins​
(0x2533B4 milliseconds = 40.6 minutes)​
Please note that my interpretation of the POH attribute is based on experimentation, not on official Seagate sources. You can do a simple test which will confirm whether my interpretation is correct. Start by recording the current raw value of the POH attribute, then wait one minute and record it again. The difference should be 60,000 milliseconds (decimal). If you can post the before-and-after raw values (using HDDScan), I can do the calculations for you.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021
If we treat the raw value of Power On Hours as two hexadecimal numbers, we get ...

0x09745D & 0x00000002 -> 2 hours + 10.3 minutes​
(0x9745D milliseconds = 10.3 minutes)​

Similarly for Head Flying Hours ...

0x2533B4 & 0x00000000 -> 0 hours + 40.6 mins​
(0x2533B4 milliseconds = 40.6 minutes)​
Please note that my interpretation of the POH attribute is based on experimentation, not on official Seagate sources. You can do a simple test which will confirm whether my interpretation is correct. Start by recording the current raw value of the POH attribute, then wait one minute and record it again. The difference should be 60,000 milliseconds (decimal). If you can post the before-and-after raw values (using HDDScan), I can do the calculations for you.

Apologies for late post.
Here is the 1 minute result:-