Question Bought a new SSD, fresh installed everything, now computer is freezing and crashing.

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
Here are my specs (Sorry if you need more I'll have to wait till I get home to give you more info)

GPU: AMD Raedon R9 280
MB: GA-990FXA-UD3
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD
CPU: AMD Octa-core FX-9590

What I did was load windows 10 on a flash drive and disconnected my old hard drive, and booted from my flash drive to install windows on my SSD. Once it was all installed I changed the boot order to my SSD, change the options in my BIOS to go to AHED or whatever that setting is.

Loaded up, everything was fine. Downloaded all the stuff I wanted, played some games, everything was working fine. Then I ran into an issue where I was SEVERE fps drops while playing games. Decided to downloaded MSI and check on my CPU/GPU usage, and noticed all CPU cores were getting maxxed out on all my games. When opening up rainbow six siege my computer would freeze completely, and turn off. Wasn't sure if I needed to up the voltage and frequency of my cpu so I took it from 4.7 to 4.8 mhz. Computer started to freeze and just simply turn off without restart when opening up programs. So I changed it back to default.

I can let it sit idle on my homepage and it seems to not crash at all, it's just once I actually start using the computer it seems to only last about 5-10min before it freezes and shuts off.

I tried to update my gpu driver, I still need to see if I need to download some drivers for my motherboard as well. Is there anything that I'm missing here? My CPU doesn't seem to be getting too hot as MSI normally says its around ~67C before freezing so I just don't know what could be the issue here. Maybe I'm missing some more drivers for the SSD that I just don't know about?

Once again, I can post more info when I get home and even video the issue/read error logs etc.

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
What MB rev to you have? 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 3.0 or 4.1.
I can confirm this in about an hour, but I bought it in 2015 and going off of when the rev 4.1 came out I can assume I got that one, not sure I will double check when I run home.

Further make sure you have the most recent bios f3, to properly support your FX-9590 CPU.
I do not believe I have this, at least not since I have reinstalled windows. Just doublechecking this is where I get it correct? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40/support#support-dl-bios

Also, would this cause a system crashing? Just wanting to make sure nothing else could possibly be faulting here.

Also make sure all your fans are connected and running; you may have knocked one loose installing your SSD.
I do know that this isn't the issue thankfully! I am not completely lost with computers but there are times where I am hopeless xD

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
So I found out that I do have the 4.1 rev for my motherboard. I installed some drivers except updating my bios to F3. So as of right now it has it's standard version on it which is two years old. The computer seems stablish now and hasn't crashed even though I haven't tried any games. I will try some games today after I update my Bios and then test to see if everything is working okay.

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
A check of the CPU support shows you need the F3 BIOS rev for compatibility. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-41/support#support-cpu IOW, Gigibyte says to use an AMD Octa-core FX-9590 CPU with your motherboard, requires the F3 rev BIOS. If your PC is working, than don't fix it :) However if your BIOS doesn't support the CPU, it can certainly lead to crashes.
So after doing a LOT of testing with this PC, something very odd is happening...

The SSD is making my CPU hotter. IDK why but it is. When I have the SSD set as the boot option to load windows I idle at like 50C or so and when I work on anything and I mean anything at all it gets around 70 and then crashes/freezes.

I just now tested to switch back to my HDD and leave the SSD as a storage device and my temps are in the 20s while idle and completely stable.

Only way the SSD would make it hotter (barring having one of the goofy LED-laden SSDs known to overheat and lock up) is to not have chipset drivers installed, which might disable proper Balanced mode behavior...(or maybe have them installed correctly, and have an inadequate board attempt to use the CPU at it's proper clock speeds and TDP (200W?) leading to overheats of VRM of mainboard...)

You could image your installation straight to the SSD, then boot from it and test your theory, but, I'm a bit skeptical based on what we've read so far.....

Last edited:

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
Only way the SSD would make it hotter (barring having one of the goofy LED-laden SSDs known to overheat and lock up) is to not have chipset drivers installed, which might disable proper Balanced mode behavior...(or maybe have them installed correctly, and have an inadequate board attempt to use the CPU at it's proper clock speeds and TDP (200W?) leading to overheats of VRM of mainboard...)

You could image your installation straight to the SSD, then boot from it and test your theory, but, I'm a bit skeptical based on what we've read so far.....
Can you possibly walk me through a little bit on what you mean by imaging the chipset drivers on my ssd?

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
When you installed the ssd did you make any changes in the BIOS? SSD's work better in ACHI mode over ide. However, ACHI is more subject to power management. Make sure the BIOS fan controller is set at high performance.
I’ve messed around with every possible bios setting there could be over the last couple days. Increase fan speed, switched to ACHI mode, even tried to undervolt my cpu, but nothing. The issue I narrowed down is that my cpu gets too hot with the ssd as the boot drive, and crashes. When I have it as a storage and my hdd set as boot there are no issues with heat at all.

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017

Ok so I looked into this a bit, and I went to check and see if my motherboard's site had some chipset drivers for me, when I went to the windows 10 installations there were no chipset drivers available. And when I go to my device manager it says my chipset brand installed is just the "Standard SATA AHCI Controller".

Could this be the issue? Where can I find the correct chipset driver?

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
Okay, so I'm an idiot... I was just turning every possible stone I could think of thinking what could have been the issue and this is what helped me in case someone else has this issue..

For some reason my SSD's power settings were set to 'High Performance'. I changed it back to Balanced and my temps are normal now. 30s while under load and all. IDK how that happened but this has been one big headache!

nicholaes

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
Problem still persisting even though temps were normalized. It has to be faulty sending back and will confirm when it comes in case anyone reads this with a similar issue