[SOLVED] Bought a used CPU, it's making my PC go through an infinite restart loop (around 47 beeps until restart, repeat)

Feb 8, 2022
Specs:
Mobo: B85M DS3H A (CPU and MOBO both LGA1150 socket, and compatible according to manufacturer site)
used CPU in question: i7 4790k
old CPU that still works with MOBO : i5-4460 (4W energy difference from new one)
Gpu: Gtx 1070
PSU: insignia pcw5250 520W (pretty sure not the issue)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws x Series (have 2 at 8GB each)

I bought a used CPU to replace my weaker one. I'm starting to feel like the used CPU does not work, but that is my last resort.

Basically, when I install the new CPU, my whole computer turns on, fans, lights, everything. But nothing on my screen turns on, not even the BIOS screen. MOBO beeps 47 times all the way until it resets, then repeat forever.

Putting back my old CPU makes my computer work like normal again (not a MOBO issue.)
I've tried resetting the BIOS multiple times, but PC still does not recognize the CPU and does the reset loop.
Checked the MOBO manufacture website, and it says that my CPU had been compatible with it since F1
I've removed everything from my MOBO (GPU, ram sticks, HD and SD card) and it still does not detect it (so prob not PSU related.)
I have updated my BIOS to the latest version. This still did not fix my issue.

(My BIOS is updated to the latest version)

Does anyone have any advice on what is going on?

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What CPU do you currently own, apart from the used i7-4790K? To add, how are you cooling the used processor? I'd advise that you update the BIOS to F3 and see if the issue persists. As for your PSU, what is it's make and model? How old is the PSU in question?

To rule out that the processor is indeed the culprit, you should test the processor out on another(donor) board that will accept the processor and that the donor system is known working. I've had a board come in for repair whereby the board was very picky with what processors you placed in it, until it gave out. Turns out the BIOS was corrupt. Another board of the similar brand, Ass B85M-G also came in but the same problem wasn't solved with a...

Lutfij

Titan

What CPU do you currently own, apart from the used i7-4790K? To add, how are you cooling the used processor? I'd advise that you update the BIOS to F3 and see if the issue persists. As for your PSU, what is it's make and model? How old is the PSU in question?

To rule out that the processor is indeed the culprit, you should test the processor out on another(donor) board that will accept the processor and that the donor system is known working. I've had a board come in for repair whereby the board was very picky with what processors you placed in it, until it gave out. Turns out the BIOS was corrupt. Another board of the similar brand, Ass B85M-G also came in but the same problem wasn't solved with a BIOS flash(had to reprogram the BIOS chip after removing it from the board) but it didn't revive the board, turned out to be a dead IC on the board, not related to a BIOS chip, which happened due to a bad quality PSU(shorted the IC).

Solution
Feb 8, 2022

To rule out that the processor is indeed the culprit, you should test the processor out on another(donor) board that will accept the processor and that the donor system is known working. I've had a board come in for repair whereby the board was very picky with what processors you placed in it, until it gave out. Turns out the BIOS was corrupt. Another board of the similar brand, Ass B85M-G also came in but the same problem wasn't solved with a BIOS flash(had to reprogram the BIOS chip after removing it from the board) but it didn't revive the board, turned out to be a dead IC on the board, not related to a BIOS chip, which happened due to a bad quality PSU(shorted the IC).
Thank you for helping me! I will update my main post with the new information I'm giving you. My old CPU that still works is an i5-4460 (4W energy difference from new one). My PSU is the insignia pcw5250, bought it new in 2015 or 2016, but it still works with everything.

I'm cooling my used processor with my old heat sink from my original CPU. I turn my PC on without the heat sink when testing both the new and old CPU to see if my PC boots up, but it doesn't change anything (old one works, new one has the same issue I've mentioned.)

As for testing the CPU out on another compatible motherboard, I don't have any of those around me, or know of any way to do this at this time, so that will be hard for me to test. I will keep it in mind as an option though.

update: Updated my BIOS. It did not fix my issue.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for helping me! I will update my main post with the new information I'm giving you. My old CPU that still works is an i5-4460 (4W energy difference from new one). My PSU is the insignia pcw5250, bought it new in 2015 or 2016, but it still works with everything.

I'm cooling my used processor with my old heat sink from my original CPU. I turn my PC on without the heat sink when testing both the new and old CPU to see if my PC boots up, but it doesn't change anything (old one works, new one has the same issue I've mentioned.)

As for testing the CPU out on another compatible motherboard, I don't have any of those around me, or know of any way to do this at this time, so that will be hard for me to test. I will keep it in mind as an option though.

update: Updated my BIOS. It did not fix my issue.
When you put the new processor in did you reset CMOS before turning it on?

Do not turn on the PC without a CPU cooler again!

Feb 8, 2022
When you put the new processor in did you reset CMOS before turning it on?

Do not turn on the PC without a CPU cooler again!
My CPU heated up to 1000 degrees in a matter of seconds without the cooler (exaggerating, my PC turns off really quickly), so I will keep the cooler from now on lol

As for resetting the CMOS, yes, I have reset it multiple times before turning my PC on.

I think at this point, I'm thinking it may just be the CPU. Many forums in the past have used this same motherboard with the used CPU I just got and it worked perfectly for them.

Feb 8, 2022

Returned the processor I told you about in question and reordered a new one from a different seller. The new one works right away. Turns out it was the CPU that was faulty. If only I had the option of testing out that broken CPU with another board, then I would have quickly found out it was broken.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a 4790k. Don't just assume it's been overclocked, count on it having been overclocked, regardless of seller claims. Coupled with its age, and assuming the overclock was relatively high, count on the former owner being an idiot. 4th Gen, 1.3v max vcore.

I'd bet money that first cpu was cooked.

Feb 8, 2022
It's a 4790k. Don't just assume it's been overclocked, count on it having been overclocked, regardless of seller claims. Coupled with its age, and assuming the overclock was relatively high, count on the former owner being an idiot. 4th Gen, 1.3v max vcore.

I'd bet money that first cpu was cooked.
Here's something that was weird. I requested a refund from the third party seller on newegg, and it was granted before I even had the chance to package and return the CPU. I found that to be very weird. I returned it anyways because it was of no use to me. I then thought to myself how strange that I got a full refund before I even returned it. What if the CPU had worked, and I lied to the seller saying that it did not work? Oh well, got my full refund, and ordered another used one that still works.