[SOLVED] Bought myself new RAM and my PC crashes.

NoobieHardware

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
I recently bought myself some new RAM sticks from my local computer store. They are G.SKILL FlareX Series 32GB DDR4 3200HMz CL16 Dual Channel (2x16GB). My old ones are some Kingston 16GB DDR4 2666HMz (2x8GB).

After installing the new RAM into my PC and changing it to 3200MHz, the PC crashes at random times. My PC works completely fine if I just run it at the 2666MHz mark. Should I just leave them there or return them back to my local computer store?

The motherboard I am using is an MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC with BIOS Version A.B0 (11/12/2019)

The rest of my rig is an AMD Ryzen 2600x (no overclock), EVGA 700 Watt Bronze PSU, and an ASUS RTX 3060 Ti.

I'm pretty new to this so if someone can help it'd be appreciated.

Solution
The G.SKILL RAM Compatibility list does not have any 3200MHz supported for your board.

The RAM isn't in the QVL list of your motherboard either. (You have to click on the "RX 2X00 CPU" to see the memory tested on your board on the link below.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450I-GAMING-PLUS-AC#support-mem-14

Updating the BIOS won't help since there are no "Memory Compatibility" in the notes of the two BIOS version after the one you have.

To use the XMP profile at advertised speed you will...
The G.SKILL RAM Compatibility list does not have any 3200MHz supported for your board.

The RAM isn't in the QVL list of your motherboard either. (You have to click on the "RX 2X00 CPU" to see the memory tested on your board on the link below.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450I-GAMING-PLUS-AC#support-mem-14

Updating the BIOS won't help since there are no "Memory Compatibility" in the notes of the two BIOS version after the one you have.

To use the XMP profile at advertised speed you will have to buy RAM that is in both list. Not doing so will cause issues like you're having.

Can you run the RAM at 2933MHz or if it's only 2666MHz that will stick?

Reactions: NoobieHardware
Solution

NoobieHardware

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hi there, sorry for the late reply. I can run the RAM only at 2666MHz for now. I've decided to upgrade my motherboard in the near future to get what I'm paying for and upgrade my PSU and CPU too. Thanks for the reply.