Question Bought new board - Asus TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4 - My TV cannot connect to Dual Band or 5 Ghz

TalkingTomCat

Prominent
Aug 22, 2022
Did you not try the obvious second wifi mode on that screen.

You will never get dual band on a pc. It only has a single radio chip and can only run on 2.4 or 5 not both at the same time.
Which 2nd option ?
Thanks for clarification, had no idea pc did not supports dual.

But there is a piece of hardware that enables wifi?

It would tend to be easier to share data to start with using a small router rather than using your pc as router. Connectivity will work but in effect you have made your expensive computer into a $20 router. Although you can use the computer for other things at the same time you have to be very careful since if you were to spike the cpu to 100% you will get packet drops.

What I am still unclear about is why you do not just attempt to use the next line and set it to N or AC.

TalkingTomCat

Prominent
Aug 22, 2022
It would tend to be easier to share data to start with using a small router rather than using your pc as router. Connectivity will work but in effect you have made your expensive computer into a $20 router. Although you can use the computer for other things at the same time you have to be very careful since if you were to spike the cpu to 100% you will get packet drops.

What I am still unclear about is why you do not just attempt to use the next line and set it to N or AC.
Thanks for your reply.
I bought the expensive motherboard just for making same a router as well.

With N or AC
The 2.4 GHz works on other devices but my TV won't detect same.

Hard to say exactly what the tv supports, I did not find much. It just say 2.4 but not which protocols it runs.

This does mean that you have to use 2.4 for all your devices. You can not run 2.4 and 5 at the same time.

I am also unsure why you could not set it to 2.4 but run "n" protocol. Maybe the tv does not support it and only runs the older b/g protocols.

It could also be related to the encryption settings. Do not run it with no encryption or your neighborhood kids will use your pc to get past whatever their parents are preventing. Some devices only support some forms of encryption. Many for example will no longer run on connections that use the very old WEP encryption and require WPA or WPA2. You also have to be careful not to use the really new WPA3 because older devices do not support it.

Life is much easier if you use a $20 router to do this. Using a pc as a router is not exactly a beginner thing to do. You should for example have already known everything I posted above since this is very basic wifi stuff.

Reactions: TalkingTomCat