[SOLVED] Bought new m.2 SSD, now I want to set it up as the boot drive

raptor20012001

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
I have bought a new ssd, an NVME m.2 ssd and I want to set it up as the new boot drive. I have a fresh install of windows 10 on a flash drive, but I am already using an HDD with Windows installed on that. Now, I want to be able to use the ssd as the boot drive and keep my HDD for storage, without losing the data I have stored on that drive. Is there a way to do a fresh install of windows on that ssd, then plug in my old HDD, and keep the boot order so that the ssd is first. Would this cause issues since I have 2 installation of windows on my computer, or is this fine to do?

Solution
Okay, well, I can spend some time clearing up a lot more space to see if I can get it down to point where I can migrate the disk, then redownload everything onto my hard drive and such. Thanks anyways guys
200GB is the number you're looking for.
And still, migrating from a SATA drive to NVMe can be problematic.

Try it though. Once you get to that 200GB number:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C...

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, with a couple of caveats.
The "data" on the old HDD. Your personal files are no problem (mostly). The applications on that will not work.
They will need to be reinstalled with the new OS.

Disconnect the old HDD, and clean install on the SSD.

If your current personal data is in the Libraries folders, you'll likely run into permissions issues when trying to access from the new OS on the SSD.

Reactions: DMAN999

raptor20012001

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Okay, that may be an issue cause I have about 600 gb of data on my HDD, and reinstalling all of them will probably take the whole week to do, so would a better option be to merge my OS onto the ssd then?

raptor20012001

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Well, I looked online and there are some programs it seems where you can just migrate you OS, as long as it is in a different partition on the original drive, which mine is, or at least I believe it to be. Would one of these free tools be the better option then?

Well, I looked online and there are some programs it seems where you can just migrate you OS, as long as it is in a different partition on the original drive, which mine is, or at least I believe it to be. Would one of these free tools be the better option then?

you will have to look at how much space has been used up in your current boot drive properties. if it is more than 250GB then you would not be able to clone or image the drive. if your used space is just a little bit over 250GB then you could try using the disk cleanuip utility to free up some space and delete uneccisary files in places like your "download" folder to get it below 250GB

note if the new SSD is filled up to much the perfomance of it will be crippled

raptor20012001

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
I don't currently have the SSD installed but here is my Disk Management
pnelKZjyp

USAFRet

Titan
you will have to look at how much space has been used up in your current boot drive properties. if it is more than 250GB then you would not be able to clone or image the drive. if your used space is just a little bit over 250GB then you could try using the disk cleanuip utility to free up some space and delete uneccisary files in places like your "download" folder to get it below 250GB

note if the new SSD is filled up to much the perfomance of it will be crippled
Actually, to clone into a 250GB drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 200GB.

Actually, to clone into a 250GB drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 200GB.

in macrium reflect you can create an image of the drive and then when restoring the image it allows you to adjust the size of the partiton so if the total space used on the HDD is lower then 250GB they "may" be able to get away with shrinking the primary partiton when restoring the image to the SSD

USAFRet

Titan
in macrium reflect you can create an image of the drive and then when restoring the image it allows you to adjust the size of the partiton so if the total space used on the HDD is lower then 250GB they "may" be able to get away with shrinking the primary partiton when restoring the image to the SSD
Yes, Images are different than a clone.
In an Image, Macrium leaves off things like hibernation and pagefile.

That's still too close to the edge, and nowhere near what the OP has.

raptor20012001

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Okay, well, I can spend some time clearing up a lot more space to see if I can get it down to point where I can migrate the disk, then redownload everything onto my hard drive and such. Thanks anyways guys

USAFRet

Titan
200GB is the number you're looking for.
And still, migrating from a SATA drive to NVMe can be problematic.

Try it though. Once you get to that 200GB number:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, I do do a clean install, that means my hdd will be fully wipes of all its application yes?
It won't be wiped until you do it. A clean install on the new drive, have the old drive disconnected.