Question Bought new pc, it doesn't connect to internet and doesn't detect GPU

undeadlord

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Hi, I bought a new pc from a very reputable store in my country, I told them what pieces I need and they built it for me, here is the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rCVf3y

I opened and installed windows, it works ok, so far it has what I asked them for, however it doesn't connect to the internet through the ethernet which is weird because my main pc connects through it just fine, also it doesn't detect the GPU in the device manager and system information, it instead says microsoft display adapter.

What should I do now? Is it a driver problem or they robbed me and didn't add the GPU? (I need to open it to confirm), also why it doesn't connect to the web?

I usually build the pcs myself but they offered this service for free so I passed this time.

Shall I buy a wifi to install the drivers? I don't know what to do :S never happened before.

undeadlord

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Ethernet - That is odd as it should be built into windows

what version of windows did you install? How new is the installer?

I don't see many Intel GPU.

Here is the download site for the drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...227959/intel-arc-a380-graphics/downloads.html - obviously need to fix internet first.
I installed windows 10 pro, however I did a limited setup since I didn't have internet so it may lack updates, drivers or w/e

is wifi the only way?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if wifi works, go to here and download the lan drivers,
and chipset drivers, and
the Intel management engine interface from under other drivers

also grab the Arc drivers. I can understand why they might not be in a win 10 installer just yet.

How new is the installer? you can always be on latest, if you bought it from a website the USB might not be latest version

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 22H2

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Last edited:
Reactions: undeadlord

undeadlord

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
if wifi works, go to here and download the lan drivers,
and chipset drivers, and
the Intel management engine interface from under other drivers

also grab the Arc drivers. I can understand why they might not be in a win 10 installer just yet.

How new is the installer? you can always be on latest, if you bought it from a website the USB might not be latest version

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
yes, thats exactly what I downloaded and added to my flashdrive, my main pc used that as well. I guess I have to order a wifi adapter too. Its the first time that I buy an msi, my previous mobos were asrock and gigabyte.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ethernet should work out of the box.

the Intel connector that is on board has drivers going all way back to win 8.1, so win 10 should know it.

If you attach wifi to it, try installing this and see what it finds - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/detect.html

does the Ethernet port show up in Device manager?

possible but unlikely that its turned off in bios
  1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices.
  3. Check the box to enable LAN.
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

undeadlord

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Ethernet should work out of the box.

the Intel connector that is on board has drivers going all way back to win 8.1, so win 10 should know it.

If you attach wifi to it, try installing this and see what it finds - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/detect.html

does the Ethernet port show up in Device manager?

possible but unlikely that its turned off in bios
  1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices.
  3. Check the box to enable LAN.
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.
You saved the day, I installed the drivers you recommended through my flash drive and it now connects to the internet and detects the GPU.

This mobo is really weird, I don't know how to connect to bios, when I reboot it doesn't have a button that I can push to enter bios, I spammed F2 but it did nothing. Luckily the drivers worked.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its more likely fact its installed as UEFI, and might have secure boot enabled.

you can get to bios via windows

go to settings/update & security/recovery
under/next to Advanced startup, click restart button
this starts windows in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI firmware interface

PC will restart and load into BIOS.

undeadlord

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
its more likely fact its installed as UEFI, and might have secure boot enabled.

you can get to bios via windows

go to settings/update & security/recovery
under/next to Advanced startup, click restart button
this starts windows in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI firmware interface

PC will restart and load into BIOS.
ah nice, yes it is in uefi with secure boot which is a good thing because it will be easy to update w10 and transfer to w11.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You saved the day, I installed the drivers you recommended through my flash drive and it now connects to the internet and detects the GPU.

This mobo is really weird, I don't know how to connect to bios, when I reboot it doesn't have a button that I can push to enter bios, I spammed F2 but it did nothing. Luckily the drivers worked.
Spam the delete key to get into BIOS on most MSI boards.