Question Bought ram card but won't fit in motherboard

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
Hi, i'm new here. I have a pc dating from around 2010 which was a high grade back then, now i'm trying to put it up to date by upgrading component. I upgraded my graphic card successfully and now i tried to upgrade my ram by buying new ram. I bought Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DR to replace 2GB 2Rx8 (2gb x 3card). Now when i try to fit the ballistix in the slot, it won't fit in correctly and my pc beep when i try to start it. Now when i compare the shape of the old card vs the new, the new 1 has more connection point on it and is a big bigger.. do i need to change my motherboard ? Any hint ? Thanks!

Respectfully, Charles.

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
allright, so for my motherboard in command prompt:

C:\Users\Utilisateur>wmic
wmic:root\cli>baseboard get product, manufacturer, version, serialnumber
Manufacturer Product SerialNumber Version
Dell Inc. 05DN3X ..CN7441505K1360. A00

and yes my older RAM were DDR3... It seems that sadly, i haven't validated these information before buying..
Is there any way to fix this so i can fit it my new cards ? also, i have like blue-ish and pink slots for my memory, does it change anything?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That's an LGA1366 motherboard - so compatible with CPUs like an i7-920. ~10 years old at this point.

No, there's no way to adapt from DDR3 to DDR4.
If you want to upgrade the current system, you need DDR3.

However, I can't think of too many situations where an i7-920 (or similar era CPU) would need 32GB or RAM.
The maximum supported by that board is 24GB (6x4GB).
http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Dell/Dell_05DN3X/3419

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
I had a good deal on amazon for the ddr4 and i said hell yeah it'll be enough for me.. :/
At this point, is my motherboard out dated or still competiting ? Is the Best option to keep the motherboard and buy ddr3 ram and try to return the ddr4 or upgrade the motherboard so the new ddr4 can fit in? How much does the motherboard affect the gaming ?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It really depends. How does the system perform for you, currently?

If i'm reading correctly, you have 3x2GB modules currently? If so, monitor your usage in games. What CPU is it paired with ? What GPU?
The motherboard plays very little part in the equation - but is indicative of the age of your components.

I wouldn't suggest spending a lot of money on it, but if you're maxing out 6GB of RAM, which you probably are - upgrading the DDR3 to maybe 3x4GB on the used market (as your board supports triple channel memory) probably isn't a horrible idea.... that assumes the system is serving you well otherwise.

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
Actually i have 3 pink sloth and 3 blue-ish, and i have a total of 10gb ram ( i just found that i added a 4gb ram ddr3 in a pink sloth) and my graphic card is an aerius gtx 1080ti. I'm handling most game pretty well but my fps tend to drop under 50 fps every time there's action..

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That just denotes the 'channels' for the memory. The actual color doesn't matter.

10GB is probably fine, although not an ideal configuration.... but monitor utilization anyway.

With an older i7-XXX (which one do you have?), that will almost certainly hinder a 1080TI at resolutions below 4K, when action heats up and you put more strain on the CPU.
Not a pairing I would run, personally - but if it's doing ok for you and you've no desire to spend the money for a new platform, it's fine.

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
I'm actuallt trying to refresh my computer, put it up to date and experience a high level gaming. Also i just bought a 144hz 27 inch monitor which is freesync but should run gsync. I've overlooked few gaming motherboard and i have the money to upgrade it ( around 200$ for a good 1 i think ). I'd like to ear for your configuration recommendation :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Honestly, if this (or any future system) is predominantly for gaming, I would aim to return the DDR4.
No games come close to utilizing 32GB currently, regardless of resolution etc.
16GB is plenty.

Assuming you wanted to keep it though, if it was a really good deal, then there's no harm.

What resolution do you play at? Assuming that panel is 1080p?

Do you know what speed the DDR4 you bought it?

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as replacing just the motherboard - you'd also have to upgrade the CPU.

Something like this would be a great foundation..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($224.25 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.97 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $314.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-03 19:57 EDT-0400

However, only 6 cores and relatively low clock speeds.
For similar money, AMD offer 6cores, 12 threads and decent clocks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.95 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.90 @ Vuugo)
Total: $319.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-03 19:56 EDT-0400

However, with AMD:
  1. They're set to launch their 3000 series in the next couple of months (if rumors are to believes) offering sizeable performance gains for similar money. Totally speculation at this point (price and performance), but if you don't need a new system right this second, it might be worth holding out a little longer to see what's on the horizon.
  2. Ryzen does benefit heavily from faster DDR4 (3000-3200MHz, ideally). So if your kit is 2133-2666MHz and you want to keep it.... Ryzen might not be the best route to go.

Reactions: charlesdubenaud12

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
Really helpfull! Yes i actually do play at 1080p 144hz but there losses.. the ddr4 i did buy is 2 x 16 Gb ddr4 3000 mt/s. I'd be ready to wait for AMD since my monitor is originaly made for freesync but listed gsync compatible it's surely better with freesync. However i think i'd have to change my gtx 1080ti because its not amd right ?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AMD in the context of my comments were related to CPU, not GPU.

Historically, to utilize 'FreeSync' you needed an AMD GPU. However, you can now use Nvidia GPUs (10 series and on) with FreeSync and, as I understand it, it's fairly seemless.