[SOLVED] Bought second hand pc, doesn't boot

Rolphcaleb

Commendable
Jun 11, 2019
I bought a cheap project pc off facebook marketplace that needed ram, harddrive and gpu. I got ram for it and tried booting it, but no post. fans spin to 100%. I've already gone through the check list for no post/boot on the forum. When i first turned it on without ram, it made a few beeps which i assume was just for ram. When i put ram in, it made 4 short beeps, then after installing a different stick, 2 beeps, then after cmos clear made a short beep like a successful boot, but i had no display. After troubleshooting a little bit, the motherboard has stopped beeping completely. I've tried putting in a gpu and using integrated graphics, tried 4 sticks of ram and reseating the cpu/reapplying thermal paste. Is the motherboard dead? The owner before me had clearly gotten into it because the cpu is not what the post had said and what is on the sticker on the side of the case.

Specs:
450w LiteOn bronze power supply
i5 2500k
acer IPIMB-AR Rev 1.02A

Solution
How old is that PSU used in that build? Right about now you might need to strip the system to it's bare essentials, breadboard and then rebuild the system inspecting each part. I'd start by looking at the CPU socket and inspecting for any bent or broken pins. Then use one stick of ram. Considering that this is an Intel platform, you can use either slots on the motherboard. You might even need to take the CPU to a local repair shop to test out on a P67 or H67 or a motherboard that supports 2nd gen core I processors, to rule out the processor being dodgy.

As for your motherboard, you will need to source another (2nd gen)processor to test out on the Acer motherboard, to rule out that the board might be faulty. Speaking of faulty, you...

Rolphcaleb

Commendable
Jun 11, 2019
I bought a cheap project pc off facebook marketplace that needed ram, harddrive and gpu. I got ram for it and tried booting it, but no post. fans spin to 100%. I've already gone through the check list for no post/boot on the forum. When i first turned it on without ram, it made a few beeps which i assume was just for ram. When i put ram in, it made 4 short beeps, then after installing a different stick, 2 beeps, then after cmos clear made a short beep like a successful boot, but i had no display. After troubleshooting a little bit, the motherboard has stopped beeping completely. I've tried putting in a gpu and using integrated graphics, tried 4 sticks of ram and reseating the cpu/reapplying thermal paste. Is the motherboard dead? The owner before me had clearly gotten into it because the cpu is not what the post had said and what is on the sticker on the side of the case.

Specs:
450w LiteOn bronze power supply
i5 2500k
acer IPIMB-AR Rev 1.02A

Lutfij

Titan
How old is that PSU used in that build? Right about now you might need to strip the system to it's bare essentials, breadboard and then rebuild the system inspecting each part. I'd start by looking at the CPU socket and inspecting for any bent or broken pins. Then use one stick of ram. Considering that this is an Intel platform, you can use either slots on the motherboard. You might even need to take the CPU to a local repair shop to test out on a P67 or H67 or a motherboard that supports 2nd gen core I processors, to rule out the processor being dodgy.

As for your motherboard, you will need to source another (2nd gen)processor to test out on the Acer motherboard, to rule out that the board might be faulty. Speaking of faulty, you should look into a donor PSU, to rule out the PSU you got bundled isn't dead.

Solution

Rolphcaleb

Commendable
Jun 11, 2019

As for your motherboard, you will need to source another (2nd gen)processor to test out on the Acer motherboard, to rule out that the board might be faulty. Speaking of faulty, you should look into a donor PSU, to rule out the PSU you got bundled isn't dead.
i had a psu that i know is working and tested it on the system, and had the same issue. i've also checked the socket and reseated the cpu and tried 4 different sticks of ram, one at a time. i'll try to get ahold of another motherboard or cpu to test them, and later tonight ill breadboard and mess around with it some more

Lutfij

Titan
Best take your system to a local repair shop if trying to source donor parts will be a complicated hill to ascend. By known working, can you state the make and model of that PSU + the age of it? You're referring to the LiteOn unit listed above?

Please keep your thoughts on one thread!