Boxee Box DSM-380

jthorpe

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016
For whatever reason, one of my Boxee Box's (I have 2, both models DSM-380) went to the log in screen ... however it was telling me that it was connected to the network, but not the internet. I did a factory restore on it, however now in the set up for wired it says "An ethernet cord is plugged in, but configuration failed." and wireless says "Wireless network was connected, but Boxee can't connect to the Internet." It seems that within the last week, all the servers had been shut down (I'm assuming).

I just want it to play my local content, which mostly consists of DVD rips (of my collection) in a .VOB format (or a 1 to 1 DVD copy). I'd also like to have it where it shows the information of the movie (or TV show) and also shows the cover. All the links I've seen for putting Kodi on the box seem to be dead links as well. What can I do with the system to be able to play my local content, either by a hack or some way to skip the "Internet" connection (since it connects to my local network) and the 'sign in' part?

jthorpe

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016
I'm having the same issue.

Both of mine are now in the "Log In" state (with one unable to set up saying "No Internet" even though it's connected). I'd like to be able to use the hardware to access my local content (which includes digital copies of some of my DVD's - copied 1 to 1), which it did before.

That article has a lot of dead links ... plus it doesn't say anything about being able to access the system and circumvent the Log In part.
This has to be expected for a product which was in its heyday ten years ago.
You have two options:
  • Accept defeat, that you need something newer than that. There's good chance your files are still accessible, with little hacking;
  • Learn Linux (this is what I suppose this device is running), and start real hacking and making it work.
I am afraid I cant give you the magic bullet to revive it.

jthorpe

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016
This has to be expected for a product which was in its heyday ten years ago.
You have two options:
  • Accept defeat, that you need something newer than that. There's good chance your files are still accessible, with little hacking;
  • Learn Linux (this is what I suppose this device is running), and start real hacking and making it work.
I am afraid I cant give you the magic bullet to revive it.

"There's good chance your files are still accessible, with little hacking" - the files are on a NAS drive that the Boxee accessed to play, they weren't stored on the Boxee.

"Learn Linux (this is what I suppose this device is running), and start real hacking and making it work." - I've tried a few things to try to even get Kodi (or something like that on there), but it doesn't seem to load from a USB and trying to do an upgrade, etc. from USB doesn't work.

I was hopping to reuse the hardware, since it's suppose to play in 1080p, however I'm not sure what distro, etc that it's running or how to access it.

I'm looking for a system where it can play digital copies of DVD's (VOB, etc.) from a NAS/Network drive. I'd also like to have the system separate Movies from TV Shows (and preferably allow me to specify that TV Shows that are from a DVD are to be in the TV Shows section ... Boxee would put the TV Shows from DVD into the Movies section) (examples are in the images below). I'd like it to have the DVD Movie Cover (as shown in the image below), rather than a file tree, for both the Movies & TV Shows. The main purpose of the system (box) would be to play my local content over the network. I do have some Blu-Ray DVD's that haven't been copied yet, so a system that can play those and possibly 4K DVD's at a later date would be nice.

Boxes/mini pc's/single board pc's I've seen mentioned are:

1. SMXQ Box
  2. ASUS Media Streamer
  3. QDroid-XU4
  4. Raspberry Pi 3 B+
  5. Tinker Board (ASUS)
  6. Intel NUC
  7. WD TV Live Hub Plus
  8. Mini X8-H
  9. Mac Mini
  10. Zidoo Z1000
  11. Micca TV Media Player
  12. Orange Pi 3
  13. Apple Pile
  14. Panda Latte (or Latte Panda)
  15. Gigatron TTL
  16. Android TV Box
  17. NVIDIA Shield
  18. Bean Canyon NUC
  19. Mini ITX
  20. Nano Pi M4
  21. Rock Pi
  22. Rock Pro 64
  23. Rock 64

What options would work best for my project, and what system (raspian, etc.) would be best?

GlobalMenu_Home.jpg

1-home.jpg
boxee-desktop-v15-3.jpg

What you describe is more or less a function of every modern Media Player. Download Kodi on your PC/Laptop, connect it to your NAS, and see what you can do with it. If you're happy, there are plenty of Kodi-ready boxes with remote ready to be plugged into a TV.

Jun 14, 2019
Found a number of hack

For this hack you need a keyboard and mouse plugged into the usb.

Start Boxee click the logo (top left) then hit F12 - to reveal search screen - hit (home / setting) then Esc when the profile failure dialogue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chatdude
Jun 19, 2019
For whatever reason, one of my Boxee Box's (I have 2, both models DSM-380) went to the log in screen ... however it was telling me that it was connected to the network, but not the internet. I did a factory restore on it, however now in the set up for wired it says "An ethernet cord is plugged in, but configuration failed." and wireless says "Wireless network was connected, but Boxee can't connect to the Internet." It seems that within the last week, all the servers had been shut down (I'm assuming).

I just want it to play my local content, which mostly consists of DVD rips (of my collection) in a .VOB format (or a 1 to 1 DVD copy). I'd also like to have it where it shows the information of the movie (or TV show) and also shows the cover. All the links I've seen for putting Kodi on the box seem to be dead links as well. What can I do with the system to be able to play my local content, either by a hack or some way to skip the "Internet" connection (since it connects to my local network) and the 'sign in' part?

I have the same issue and thats why I searched google regarding this issue.
My boxee box wouldnt shut down properly without pressing the power button on the box itself.
I though hard reset would fix it...big mistake....as I cant setup the box at all now.
I also want to play files from USB stick/hardrives so I can live without internet connection once the first start up is ok.
Please post everyone who has found a way to make the BB partly usable again.
I dont have a keyboard so cant try that but if that indeed works I will try lending one.........

boxeelives....what hack version,im sure there are several maybe?

Jun 14, 2019
For anyone just wanting to stick with the last firmware version of boxee and have a profile that loads when offline it is possible.

What's more if like me you've deleted your user / done a factory restore it is possible to get back to the last firmware + auto logged in user.

I've tested this on two Boxee models without issue.

There are a few combinations but all should work - however the above relies on being able to launch a telnet server to do the profile work.

For me Boxee was awesome from day 1 - still is after 10 years can handle media just fine - this week I picked up a working boxee for 1$ because the server issue has put them out of reach for many.
I have the same issue and thats why I searched google regarding this issue.
My boxee box wouldnt shut down properly without pressing the power button on the box itself.
I though hard reset would fix it...big mistake....as I cant setup the box at all now.
I also want to play files from USB stick/hardrives so I can live without internet connection once the first start up is ok.
Please post everyone who has found a way to make the BB partly usable again.
I dont have a keyboard so cant try that but if that indeed works I will try lending one.........

boxeelives....what hack version,im sure there are several maybe?

To get back to the last firmware version just create a fat32 usb then copy the iso from here (http://boxee-kodi.leechburgltc.com/test/ ) to boxee.iso in the root of the USB.

The do a factory restore from the USB.

If you have a profile on the boxee then you are OK however if like me you deleted that you need to run up a telnet session.

No doubt like everyone you'll be trapped in the login / new user screen.

You can break out of that with create facebook user then hit F12 - then ESC when the login fail dialogue pops up.

Jun 19, 2019
For anyone just wanting to stick with the last firmware version of boxee and have a profile that loads when offline it is possible.

What's more if like me you've deleted your user / done a factory restore it is possible to get back to the last firmware + auto logged in user.

There are a few combinations but all should work - however the above relies on being able to launch a telnet server to do the profile work.

For me Boxee was awesome from day 1 - still is after 10 years can handle media just fine - this week I picked up a working boxee for 1$ because the server issue has put them out of reach for many.

To get back to the last firmware version just create a fat32 usb then copy the iso from here (http://boxee-kodi.leechburgltc.com/test/ ) to boxee.iso in the root of the USB.

If you have a profile on the boxee then you are OK however if like me you deleted that you need to run up a telnet session.

You can break out of that with create facebook user then hit F12 - then ESC when the login fail dialogue pops up.

Thanks for your reply :)
Its been 3 weeks or so since I tried to get my boxee box to work again but cant remember any facebook option while
doing so.
Maybe I should give this another try.....and then the hack thing as last option if nothing else works.
I have nothing to loose as the box is now "bricked" and 100% useless :openmouth:

Edit: Tried DL the latest FW and installed it from usb stick....but as before I cant get past the login internet part on Boxee Box.
Not sure what you mean by "telnet session" and the Facebook part.
Regards a noob :(

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019
Its been 3 weeks or so since I tried to get my boxee box to work again but cant remember any facebook option while
doing so.
Maybe I should give this another try.....and then the hack thing as last option if nothing else works.
I have nothing to loose as the box is now "bricked" and 100% useless :openmouth:

Have you done a power on + middle button remote to get to the factory reset to the factory firmware or alternatively use a Fat 32 usb + boxee.iso.

I have bought 7 boxee's (cheep) and I can get them to the last firmware + fake profile, so don't give up hope.

Jun 14, 2019
doing so.

Edit: Tried DL the latest FW and installed it from usb stick....but as before I cant get past the login internet part on Boxee Box.
Not sure what you mean by "telnet session" and the Facebook part.
Regards a noob :(

Have you still got a user on the box Y/N
Can you get to the network setting Y/N

We can get you back to a working boxee

Jun 19, 2019
I dont have a user profile on this BB I think ...besides if I had isnt that deleted when doing a factory reset?
I can get to the network settings menu....switch to manual,wireless network and so on.

My brother has my original one and I bought this cheap a year ago but havent used it in some time.
Edit:I found a paper with written boxee box log in info

Jun 21, 2019
I have a user on my boxee box and I can get to the network settings. Can you advise how to get rid of the 'no internet connection' please.

Jun 14, 2019
I have a user on my boxee box and I can get to the network settings. Can you advise how to get rid of the 'no internet connection' please.

You can't unless you either:
1) Point to a fake DNS server that resolves all the external domains to someplace on your network
or 2) Configure the HTTP Proxy to point to a server that responds to requests from the Boxee (on going efforts here)

So I stay offline :)
I just set my Gateway / DNS to 0.0.0.0 - Boxee can still see stuff on your local network.

Jun 21, 2019
You can't unless you either:
1) Point to a fake DNS server that resolves all the external domains to someplace on your network
or 2) Configure the HTTP Proxy to point to a server that responds to requests from the Boxee (on going efforts here)

So I stay offline :)
I just set my Gateway / DNS to 0.0.0.0 - Boxee can still see stuff on your local network.

OK. Thanks very much

jthorpe

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016

Just seen that there was replies on my post... not sure why I didn't get any email notifications.... Any ways, I have 2 boxes. 1 was logged in with a user, but because of a power loss from a storm, when it boots, it goes to the "Log In" screen. The second one was stuck on the "Log In" screen (this happened about 3 days before my second box lost power). Thinking there was a glitch, I did a factory restore on this ... assuming doing a factory restore deletes the user, then on this box I don't have a user on it.

How do you launch a telnet server, using what program ... and how to access it when you can't activate SSH on the Boxee since it doesn't go past the "Log In" part of the boot process.

As far as the Boxee.iso file is that the boxee-1.5.1.23735.iso from the main page http://boxee-kodi.leechburgltc.com/test/ or is it from the ISO folder (http://boxee-kodi.leechburgltc.com/test/iso/ ). As far as in copying the file to a thumb drive, do you just copy the ISO to the thumb drive, or do you format the thumb drive and name it BOXEE, or do you put a folder on the thumb drive named BOXEE and put the ISO in that?

How do you "run up a telnet session."??

Also the "You can break out of that with create facebook user then hit F12 - then ESC when the login fail dialogue pops up." is this on the Boxee or computer??

A more of a step by step directions would be helpful for newbies like me and is greatly appreciated.

jthorpe

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016
Found a number of hack

For this hack you need a keyboard and mouse plugged into the usb.

Start Boxee click the logo (top left) then hit F12 - to reveal search screen - hit (home / setting) then Esc when the profile failure dialogue.

I plugged in a USB keyboard and wireless mouse into a hub and plugged it into the Boxee, but don't see any mouse pointer to "click the logo (top left)" ... I tapped F12 when booting, but it only played the welcome screen animation then goes to the "log in".

Jun 14, 2019
I plugged in a USB keyboard and wireless mouse into a hub and plugged it into the Boxee, but don't see any mouse pointer to "click the logo (top left)" ... I tapped F12 when booting, but it only played the welcome screen animation then goes to the "log in".

The issue about creating a guide is that there are many alternate routes.

That said I picked up a load of Boxee's so I've done this many times.

Yep - usb keyboard on the Boxee.

If you still have a user on the Boxee then setting the DNS / Gateway to 0.0.0.0 might work.

However it sound like yo are stuck on login / create user screen, so to break out here go New User > Facebook > F12, then ESC forthe popup dialogue.

This will allow you to get to your network settings.

If you don't have a user you'll need to get to this point anyway - so you can inject a user "BoxeeLives" from a USB stick using as script.

If that is the case for you send an email to Removed and I'll see if I can help you from there.

I've done 9 Boxee's this way - all work fine offline (as the Boxee mother ship servers have been taken offline for good).

Last edited by a moderator:

jthorpe

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016

If you still have a user on the Boxee then setting the DNS / Gateway to 0.0.0.0 might work.

However it sound like yo are stuck on login / create user screen, so to break out here go New User > Facebook > F12, then ESC forthe popup dialogue.

If you don't have a user you'll need to get to this point anyway - so you can inject a user "BoxeeLives" from a USB stick using as script.

If that is the case for you send an email to [b]Removed[/b] and I'll see if I can help you from there.

I've done 9 Boxee's this way - all work fine offline (as the Boxee mother ship servers have been taken offline for good).

The Boxee I have for the bedroom is stuck on the "Welcome" screen where you set up your network. When the network is set, it says "Connected to the network. But can't connect to the internet." (or something like that), and it goes back to the part where you enter the wireless network SSID and password or to connect a ethernet cable. (I've tried both the WiFi and ethernet cable and it won't go past this point). (This was the one that was "Factory Restored" and apparently unable to connect since the servers where shut down.)

The Boxee I have in the office/game room is on a wired/ethernet cable. I was able to get to the home screen using the "new user", then "Facebook", allow it to say that it can't find the site it's trying to connect, press F12 and select the home. This gives me the home page with a red Boxee icon in the top left and says "Master user" However, when I select "Movies" it says, "Nothing to see... The content you want to see isn't available because the Boxee is not connected to the Internet." TV Shows says that "Boxee is offline... The content you want to see isn't available because the Boxee is not connected to the Internet."

I did go into settings and network, and set the DNS to 0.0.0.0 ... however after it rebooted (see below), it went back to the IP address of the router as the DNS.

Since it no longer see my previously set up file links to my NAS device, I went into settings, file sources, Windows Network (SMB) and the only options are MSHOME, WORKGROUP and Manually Enter IP/Name...

I'm able to use the Manually Enter IP/Name... to point the Boxee to one of my folders on the NAS (I have one for DVD Movies which is digital copies of my DVD's, Movies which is just movie files, TV Shows on DVD which is the same as the DVD Movies except for TV Shows, etc. and it seems to be stuck on Waiting to be scanned. When I go to the "Files" on the home banner, and choose a movie to try to play (a VIDEO_TS.IFO file) that it was able to play before, it also freezes on the file screen, doesn't even load/play the file. I also tried this with a .avi file with the same result.

So with one I'm able to get somewhat into it (just have to find out how to get to the home and network settings of my other one). However, playing videos isn't working (so it might be dependent on the Internet for the player??) ... I might be able to do a version of Kodi (like this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmlyOI-sbL8
), where it'll load into Kodi instead and have the same type of Movie screen as the Boxee did (with the DVD cover artwork and description) ... that is if I can find info on how to install it and if the links to do it aren't dead. I don't mind spending a few dollars and getting a nano USB thumb drive (like: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verbatim...0CnYobgoEAzAlL12D0JKbAGI7UY5DVn4aAmv4EALw_wcB ).

Do you know how to get Kodi installed on a Boxee, where it'll boot directly into Kodi without needing to put in a user and password (well other than maybe setting it up)? Also, how do I get past the internet set up part on the one I did a factory restore on (I'm assuming this has no user info on it since it was restored to factory settings)?

jthorpe

Reputable
Mar 29, 2016

If that is the case for you send an email to [b]Removed[/b] and I'll see if I can help you from there.

Also, when I did the: However it sound like yo are stuck on login / create user screen, so to break out here go New User > Facebook > F12, then ESC forthe popup dialogue ... when I hit the ESC it went back to the "User page" ... when I just did up to the F12 it brought up the Home Menu Banner and I was able to get to the settings, etc.

Jul 19, 2019

Please, how do I, "If you don't have a user you'll need to get to this point anyway - so you can inject a user "BoxeeLives" from a USB stick using as script?"

Thanks,
Mike

TRENDING THREADS