Boyscotting Epic Games due to bad customer relations.

My first, but not last post on the subject.
I'm writing this as awareness for all players of EpicGames products. This is pure unaltered facts about the company and its support to its users that everyone should be in the know about.

On the 11th of May 2018 my EpicGames account with Fortnite got hacked, and the hacker purchased $205 worth of coins on my account and transferred them out. I found out on the 17th that there was unauthorized purchases on my account.

I was able to perform a password reset (hacker did not reset my account information other then password), logged into my account after password change and removed my CC from my profile. On the 17th I also sent an email to EpicGames stating my account was hacked and purchases were not legit and asked for a refund. (mind you this is the only form of contact EpicGames has) days later, no responses, sent follow up email, again on the 21st stating, 3 days later, still no response from EpicGames.

I advised them in my 2nd email that if I did not receive a response with 3 business days. I was going to dispute the charges with my bank as the window for disputing was closing and I still did not receive any responses...
On the 23rd I disputed the charges with my bank and immediately after received an email from EpicGames stating my account was permanently suspended and could not be reactivated.
So now my account is locked and I am unable to play Fortnite (the paid save the world edition, not battle royale).

Below are the emails and transactions from my account as proof. You can even go to EpicGames website and attempt to search for contact info. You will find email is the only contact method.

I strongly advise anyone using EpicGame services to be cautious about continuing to use their services. Their user support is non existent. If your account gets hack and you lose money, they will do nothing to assist to resolve the problems. In good consequence, I can not let this go by on the way side without making it known to the public. This is pure criminal actions of a company that deals with currency transactions.

0hn0mvdwfmz01.png

gandbcvpfmz01.png

6hwk6mrvfmz01.png

(bans my account for disputing the charge with my bank due to them never getting back to me)
sgs9wtyygmz01.png

8ftxqdoxfmz01.png

Epicgames accounts were not hacked but the email addresses associated with login's from there people used known passwords associated with that email address to attempt login's so you must have reused an already discovered password on that account.
Almost every other day I get an email from people attempting to login. I changed it to a password I don't even know to be extra sure and deleted all credit card info.

They should have definitely handled this better though.

Normally maybe. Im a network\system engineer. I can tell you for a fact my email wasn't hacked. They brute forced my Epic Games account and my account was created before they even had two factor authentication in place...

What I think is more scary is that they were able to charge my CC that was saved in my Epic Games account. However, normal vendors ask for security code validation before purchases, especially large purchases. Which Epic Games did not prompt for so the hacker was able to charge my CC...

Just bad practices all around. It is totally unacceptable.

I mean if they manged to brute force it that quickly it must have been super simple. And I didn't say they hacked your email, I mean they hacked the email address from Epic Games database. Don't get me wrong I am not blaming you, and they really should have had 2FA setup way before hand, poor security practice.

You might want to check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/ with your email address

A rant about customer service! Haven't we all done that!?

With that said one persons experience isn't indicative of everyone's, and although I can certainly get the frustration (I'd be bloody annoyed), not everyone will experience same.

Yes, I'm sure Epicgames could have responded at the very least, but posting here won't bring it to their attention. You need to keep on them and hopefully it will get sorted.

You've just reminded me to change all my passwords up a notch :)

Who said it was brute forced quickly? Like I said, I've had my account pre two factor authentication and only purchase I did was for Fortnite save the world edition (pre battle royal).

(and mind you I have two factor enabled on my email account. It has not been hacked plain and simple).

And no the password was very strong. I use MXToolbox Password generator using the hardest password they can create also with LastPass so I'm not even typing in the password so browser cache password leaks or keyboard logging wouldn't even work here.

The problem is they can just spam brute force the account for years and Epic Games wont do anything about it. I didn't receive any emails or anything until it was too late.

People need to know about the bad practices of this company in order for any change to take place.

Cant post it on their forums as it gets removed and only method of contact to them is email which after 7 emails they still have not responsed.

So I understand where you are coming from but that simply does not work in this situation. I rather get the news out there for others can make an informed decision and know what to expect if this happens to them.

Good idea. I have already disputed with my bank and it failed because EpicGames stated "he authorized the purchased" which obviously I did not.

However I disputed it again and attached the images in the post as proof that I tried to reach out and I did not authorize the charges. So I guess we will see in a week or so.

TRENDING THREADS