Question Bracket required for my graphics card ?

V-T

Mar 26, 2023
I have a couple of pictures here for reference, but I am looking for a bracket for my graphics card (PNY GeForce RTX 3080 12GB XLR8) so that it sits parallel to the red radiator attaching to the back wall of this vertical case. I am not a pro at building computers, but I'm building something fairly unique. Liquid cooled, glass piped, custom setup. I haven't decided to liquid cool the GPU yet. I want to see about possibly working that in later on. The other picture is the other side of the case where the GPU would normally install. I have a riser cable that is long enough to wrap through the back of the case allowing the card to live this far away (Thermaltake TT Gaming PCI-E x16 3.0 Black Extender Riser Cable 200mm) There are normally plates of glass mounted on the ends of the case's silver rods that are removed for work right now.

FsKex2OaIAIjZFh

FsKe-7jaEAAxRrp

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

" but I'm building something fairly unique."

Interesting. ....

Just to clarify one thing:

The plan is to have the GPU "crossing" the red radiator in a sort "+" manner? And likely extended or otherwise sticking out from the build as a whole. Between the motherboard and the thermal glass attached to the silver rods.

Correct?

Meaning, as I understand the plan, that one GPU fan would be affecting airflows across the radiator. Either the leftmost fan or the center fan while the other two fans just intake and exhaust from whatever is in the adjacent space that those fans happen to be in.

Not sure about how the actual airflows might end up but you need to consider the airflows as well. The airflows need to be effective and not just move air around the thermal glass for example.

As near as I can determine you will need some sort of custom made brackets. Plural - more than one bracket.

Solid brackets - not flimsy and with multiple options for installing and adjusting.

Necessary to both provide support for the weight of the GPU and to keep it stable when fans are running etc., Lots of forces involved: action/reaction - twisting.

And you must consider expansion, contraction, vibrations, even noise....

Otherwise connections, tubes, and things in general will work loose to a bad ending.

Also, side note: It appears that the build is already attracting lots of dust, fibers, and other debris. Keep in mind that being able to keep the build clean and dust free will be a requirement as well.

No disagreement with experimenting and/or the plan in general.

However, a mistake of any sort could be expensive. Do not let form get in the way of function.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

V-T

Mar 26, 2023
Reference:

" but I'm building something fairly unique."

Interesting. ....

Just to clarify one thing:

The plan is to have the GPU "crossing" the red radiator in a sort "+" manner? And likely extended or otherwise sticking out from the build as a whole. Between the motherboard and the thermal glass attached to the silver rods.

Correct?

Meaning, as I understand the plan, that one GPU fan would be affecting airflows across the radiator. Either the leftmost fan or the center fan while the other two fans just intake and exhaust from whatever is in the adjacent space that those fans happen to be in.

Not sure about how the actual airflows might end up but you need to consider the airflows as well. The airflows need to be effective and not just move air around the thermal glass for example.

As near as I can determine you will need some sort of custom made brackets. Plural - more than one bracket.

Solid brackets - not flimsy and with multiple options for installing and adjusting.

Necessary to both provide support for the weight of the GPU and to keep it stable when fans are running etc., Lots of forces involved: action/reaction - twisting.

And you must consider expansion, contraction, vibrations, even noise....

Otherwise connections, tubes, and things in general will work loose to a bad ending.

Also, side note: It appears that the build is already attracting lots of dust, fibers, and other debris. Keep in mind that being able to keep the build clean and dust free will be a requirement as well.

No disagreement with experimenting and/or the plan in general.

However, a mistake of any sort could be expensive. Do not let form get in the way of function.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
I'm sorry, I wrote perpendicular and meant parallel. I edited above.. sorry again. Just flat on the case wall.

Ralston18

Titan
Correction noted - thanks.

What is the length of the GPU compared to the radiator?

The GPU will need to be above the pump and out away from the radiator - appears to be 2 - 3 inches or so.

With the fans exhausting through a metal mesh case wall (versus glass plates).

I suggest a few more mockup photographs showing your plans and some measurements.

Simply to ensure that your plan is generally understood and that other questions and concerns can be discussed thereafter.

You need to reserve the ablity to make changes if things go astray: either immediately or later on.

Planning is key.

But then "No plan survives initial contact". (Many references.)

TRENDING THREADS