Question BRAIN FREEZE!!! HELP Please recommend a graphics card for old motherboard

bluesycore

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I currently have:
  1. i7-2600k
  2. 16gb DDR 3
  3. Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA1155
  4. Using onboard graphics to run 2 monitors
  5. EVGA 550 B3 80 plus Bronze Power supply

I am having a brain freeze.
Please help me choose the cheapest possible desktop card that will be compatible with my old motherboard.
I can even buy a used card on ebay if it will be better and cheaper.
Budget is under $60 unfortunately.
I hear DDR3 ram is a no no and maybe at least 2gb ram. But not sure what I can find for under $60 for my setup.
Fanless possible? If not, no problem.

I will be using the card for editing videos in HD, not 4k just 1080p, but it would be great to have something at least better than the best integrated graphics intel provides in their latest chips.

The recommendation is to at least have this:
Intel HD Graphics 5000 or later; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 700 or later; AMD Radeon R5 or later.
2 GB vRAM

My motherboard has these expansion slots:
1 x CPU
4 x DIMM 240-pin
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1

Thanks for any suggestions. I am in the USA.

bluesycore

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hi thanks, I need to spend no more than 60 bucks though and must be PCIe 2.0.
This is not for games, just video editing so that I can render at 1080p very simple editing that can even be accomplished on my laptop with intergrated graphics by intel.
GTX 700 could be the cheapest that can get me there? but I was hoping someone knows what is the best between the GTX 700 and higher that is under $60. thanks a lot

On a budget, you could go with something like these:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: XFX - Radeon R7 240 4 GB Video Card ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-26 14:50 EDT-0400

Or this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: MSI - GeForce GT 730 2 GB Video Card ($59.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $59.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-26 14:51 EDT-0400

Both cards are new. And will suffice fine for your needs. There is no GTX700 card per se. There is the 700 family of which the second card I've listed is. Any card under 60 bucks is not gonna be a stellar performer, The difference apart fromm manufacturer, colours, RGB or anything have almost no relevance. They will perform roughly within a few percentage of each other at that price point.

Out of the two listed, I'd take the first one with 4gb vram. This might be useful for editing.

Reactions: bluesycore

bluesycore

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
thanks for the suggestions. There are a few used GTX 750 ti used on ebay that can be had for around $50 or even a GT 1030 for around $60 are these better options and would you buy used?

Personally, I've never bought a second hand piece of hardware. It's just my preference. Specially with older hardware you just don't know what it's been through, or even if it's going to arrive working. I'm sure most of the time it would be fine, but I just don't like taking the chance. If you think you have a reputable seller and it's cheap enough to write off if it goes wrong, then maybe that's a good call for you. The second hand GT1030 would be the better performer there, but it is second hand.

Id'd always prefer a new unit, from a warranty point of view, and knowing it should work perfectly when you receive it.