Question Brand new 10900k not hitting single core turbo boost

Marvin1415

Honorable
Sep 4, 2015
Hey guys, as the title says. My new 10900k will not touch the single core turbo boost. I tried stress testing, playing different games, stress testing single core, etc and it wont go above 4892 Mhz. I have default BIOS settings with XMP I enabled, Turbo boost enabled and High performance mode. I tried disabling MCE but I do not have the option in my bios for some reason. My motherboard is ASUS BM460M-A. Max TDP for the CPU I've seen it hit is around 195-210 Watts and VCore 1.280 volts. Anybody know what's up with this issue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are a number of factors that restrict Turbo Boost froim reaching max potential

Availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature
When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 has multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize frequency and energy efficiency. Note: Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its TDP configuration and data sheet specified power for short durations to maximize performance.

https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...ology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

So is the cooling adequate? if temps are too high it won't kick in. ITs unlikely to occur during gaming. and maybe Stress testing.

Marvin1415

Honorable
Sep 4, 2015
Hello,

Thanks for the reply, my temps seem to be fine while stress testing or playing games. I average around 65-70C. I don't know what the problem is, could it be MCE? only problem is I don't have the option in BIOS which is up to date.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've no idea past that, unless there's something you forgot to mention.
No wait... there is one other idea: Is this a brand new build, or did you carry over your C drive from a previous build?
If you did the latter, you also need to clean install Windows.

Marvin1415

Honorable
Sep 4, 2015
I've no idea past that, unless there's something you forgot to mention.
No wait... there is one other idea: Is this a brand new build, or did you carry over your C drive from a previous build?
If you did the latter, you also need to clean install Windows.

Yes, I did a clean install of Windows 10. I've noticed that on HWINFO says my core ratio is 49x for all of my 10 cores, could that be why? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. Here's a picture. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

What clock speeds are shown under a heavy all-core loading (which is actually what is important to most people anyway), such as when running CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU?

Although it's not a Z-series mainboard, you can at least see if Intel's XTU lets you specify a slightly higher 1 or 2 cores active ratio than 49X, such as 50X or 51X, as that was supposed to be 'factory' behavior, and is not an OC...

It certainly is/was never going any higher than 4900 MHz under all-core loadings, anyway.... (be thankful you are getting that at least, which is correct behavior for a 10900K under full all-core loadings)

Now try (still under CPU-Z/bench/) 'Bench CPU'), while monitoring HWmonitor ....; during the latter half of the test, CPU Single Thread, perhaps you might see one core as high as 5.1 GHz, or maybe 5.2 GHz if power budget/cooling allows?

Marvin1415

Honorable
Sep 4, 2015
It certainly is/was never going any higher than 4900 MHz under all-core loadings, anyway.... (be thankful you are getting that at least, which is correct behavior for a 10900K under full all-core loadings)

Now try (still under CPU-Z/bench/) 'Bench CPU'), while monitoring HWmonitor ....; during the latter half of the test, CPU Single Thread, perhaps you might see one core as high as 5.1 GHz, or maybe 5.2 GHz if power budget/cooling allows?

Yeah, that what I have been looking for. Not a single core will go over 4890 even when doing CPUZ bench test. Although when I'm stress testing with AVX or AVX2 the CPU EDP throttles.

Marvin1415

Honorable
Sep 4, 2015

I ended up figuring out the issue, it was from the bios. Just a question, my CPU won't hit exact clock speeds. For example for 5.1 GHZ, it will hit only 5090 instead of say 5100. I know this is a overthought stupid question but I am curious, I am seeing other CPU's hit 5100 Mhz but mine will hit say 5090 Mhz for 5.1 GHZ.

As my all-core multiplier max is set to 47, theoretically, I'd expect to see exactly 4700.0000 MHz, but, often see 4716 MHz, etc... :)

There is little you are going to be able to do beyond playing w/ 100 MHz base clock, which , when drifting higher, often ends in OS corruption once appreciably as high as/higher than even 102-103 MHz, but, good luck if you decide to tinker with it in a search for exactly 5100 MHz... :)

Marvin1415

Honorable
Sep 4, 2015
As my all-core multiplier max is set to 47, theoretically, I'd expect to see exactly 4700.0000 MHz, but, often see 4716 MHz, etc... :)

There is little you are going to be able to do beyond playing w/ 100 MHz base clock, which , when drifting higher, often ends in OS corruption once appreciably as high as/higher than even 102-103 MHz, but, good luck if you decide to tinker with it in a search for exactly 5100 MHz... :)

Thanks for the reply. So the CPU clocks currently are normal right?

nesteafury

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
I ended up figuring out the issue, it was from the bios. Just a question, my CPU won't hit exact clock speeds. For example for 5.1 GHZ, it will hit only 5090 instead of say 5100. I know this is a overthought stupid question but I am curious, I am seeing other CPU's hit 5100 Mhz but mine will hit say 5090 Mhz for 5.1 GHZ.

Im currently experiencing the same issue, what did you change in the bios?