Question Brand new build, fps drops in rust?

May 24, 2023
Hey guys,

Hoping you can help. Pulling my hair out!

Recently purchased a new build. Specs are the following:

- Ryzen 7 7800x3d
- RTX 4070
- 32gb 5200mhs corsair DDR5 RAM
-Gigabyte UD850GM 850w gold rated PSU
-MSI B650-P DDR5 motherboard
-Corsair Hx100x liquid cooler
-2tb SSD

I dont play many games, mainly rust and league of legends. I benchmarked it using valley benchmark and got quite an impressive score with no significant fps drops. However as soon as i play rust, I get CRAZY fps drops. When its working good Im getting 200+ fps, however every 10 seconds im getting drops as low as 1fps which has rendered it unplayable.

Ive tried all sorts including setting rust as a high priority, editing rust settings, updating drivers etc etc however nothing has worked.

Any ideas please?

Thank you!

Edit - Bios version 1.53 (12/05/2023)

Edit: user Benchmark scores if needed

UserBenchmarks: Game 217%, Desk 115%, Work 213%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - 112.6%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070 - 197%
SSD: WD Black SN770 NVMe PCIe M.2 2TB - 449.9%
RAM: Corsair CMH32GX5M2B5600Z36 2x16GB - 179%
MBD: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI (MS-7D78)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Gigabyte 850w gold rated PSU
Gigabyte is the brand of the PSU while 850W is the advertised wattage and Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating for the unit, what is it's model?

BIOS version at this moment of time for your motherboard?

You might want to see what that number looks like when you tax other titles.

May 24, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Gigabyte 850w gold rated PSU
Gigabyte is the brand of the PSU while 850W is the advertised wattage and Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating for the unit, what is it's model?

BIOS version at this moment of time for your motherboard?

You might want to see what that number looks like when you tax other titles.
Hi Lutfij,

Updated the initial post with what you stated. Thanks for the reply

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not seeing anything about Rust or other Unity titles having issues with X3D chips.

What are your CPU temperatures looking like? Have you been monitoring clock speeds?

Pure GPU benchmarks don't use much in the way of CPU power, though you have an acceptable score in userbenchmark, so it may not be overheating or power issues.

May 24, 2023
Not seeing anything about Rust or other Unity titles having issues with X3D chips.

What are your CPU temperatures looking like? Have you been monitoring clock speeds?

Pure GPU benchmarks don't use much in the way of CPU power, though you have an acceptable score in userbenchmark, so it may not be overheating or power issues.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Run Hardware Info 64 and see what the perfcap reason is on the GPU while this is happening.

Might be a good time to see if there are any vBIOS updates available for the GPU, try reverting to an older graphics driver or trying out a beta version to see if it changes anything.