Brand new build. Very low preformance.

Apr 6, 2018
Before I get started with the issue, I'd like to say I'm not very good with forums, and this is the first computer I invested in. I've built other before but they were not "gaming pcs."

Components:
Cpu: i7-6700k
Cpu Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING AURA
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Power Supply: Corsair Cx750m
Storage : 128 GB SSD (I got it a while ago so I don't know the brand)

Problem:
It's been running really slow. It's not so much FPS drops but overall preformance is just nonexistant. It was working when I first built it, then it would freeze mid-game or while nothing was happening. I'd unsafely shut it off and then i got hit with a bios screen constantly. After wiping the SSD and redownloading Windows 10, the problem still lingers. I have little to no applications installed, not even chrome is installed.I've been messing with it for a week now, and I've finally given up and tried to reach here. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it, even if it's not what solves the issue.

TLDR:
Computer very slow.

Apr 6, 2018

The RAM is a 8 GB Corsair DDR4 stick. exactly what kind, I don't know. My friend is letting me borrow it til mine comes in. It is not currently bringing me to the BIOS after I wiped the SSD and reinstalled Windows 10. My only problem right now is that its running SUPER slow

1. Do you have the stick of RAM located in memory slot DIMM_A2?
2. Do you have XMP enabled in the BIOS?

Apr 6, 2018

Closest to the processor, which one is DIMM_A2?
And what is XMP?

It should not be located next to the processor, but the next slot over, 2nd from the CPU.
X.M.P. (Extreme Memory Profile) is a setting in the BIOS. It should be located in the main window. [X.M.P. - Enable or Disable]

Apr 6, 2018
So I started it up and went into the BIOS. I set it to that XMP mode. Started up much slower than I thought was possible, after that I had mine in DIMM_B2 and whiched it to DIMM_A2. Once I changed it, my monitor stopped displaying.

EDIT : RAM Stick wasn't in all the way. It's displaying now. Started it up and told me "Overclocking Failed" which I tried in the past. So I set it back to default.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

usually slow performance of that type is temp related

make sure the cpu is not hitting 100 degrees

Apr 6, 2018

it's a usually fixed between 25-35. I never seen it get any higher

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

those temps are also a red flag

use this, run it and leave it open

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

run a program

does the cpu ramp up to its proper max speed or is it locked to something like 800 mhz?

Apr 6, 2018

would that be "core speed"? its jumps up and down from 800 MHz - 4000MHz

Apr 6, 2018
@Grandmaster I've reinstalled windows 10 fresh. I've downloaded all the drivers that were available to me. I can play games at a good FPS. BUT From time to time, it will freeze. Everything will stop working. Could this be because the storage I have isn't used to the demand? it's only a 128 GB SSD. That's all I have for storage.

And yes it's hooked up to my GPU

Apr 6, 2018

From looking at task manager, I can assume that my RAM and my Storage are the ones bottle-necking the process. I'm fairly new to operating a brand new computer though, I know how to build them. Just after all the parts are in place I don't really know where to go from there

Apr 7, 2018

Dont use your SSD with OS on it on games, not an 120 gb at least! Buy a cheap new HDD 1 tb or something!

Apr 6, 2018

But would that stop the freezing in whole?

Apr 7, 2018

It may, if the SSD stands on about 90-100 % all the time maybe try formating it. If this does not work maybe the SSD is broken or try something like this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2813275/disk-usage-100.html

Apr 6, 2018

I mean, being idle like it is right now is running 60% so that may be the issue