[SOLVED] Brand new computer build fails to boot windows (or even run MemTest86) during install.

Nov 4, 2021
Specs:
i7-9700k
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
Samsung 870 QVO 1TB
A pair of old HDDs that haven't been plugged in
Windows 10 Home
AresGame AGK750 Modular PSU
Geforce GTX 1050 TI (MSI Nvidia model and is the one thing that I know works since I had it in my previous "build")
MUSETEX Phantom Black PC Case
Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) CPU Fan

I have just recently purchased the parts to build a PC for the first time (all from Amazon) and have gotten everything put together to the best of my knowledge. However, when I tried to use a bootable USB in order to load Windows 10 onto the computer, it gets as far as loading the files before the computer restarts the process. The system always restarts at the same point (right before the Windows pop-ups should open to proceed with the install). I have spent hours scouring the web and forums to solve the problem but haven't found anything to fix the problem. It is also worth noting that when I try to switch the BIOS Mode from CSM to UEFI, the BIOS "breaks" and I am unable to access the advanced settings (or anything beyond the EZ Mode screen options) without having the different windows try (and fail) to open over each other. The only way I have found to fix this is to reset the BIOS to their optimized defaults (F6 shortcut). Even when I do switch to the UEFI mode, the boot menu (F11) doesn't detect the bootable USB at all and only lets me open the BIOS. I read that the RAM could possibly faulty and tried to use the MemTest86 test via a bootable USB, but the computer crashes and restarts when the test tries to fetch the CPU MSR data. I am able to see all of the CPU information (hard drives, RAM, CPU, etc) from the BIOS and everything seems to be in working order otherwise (PC Case fans, CPU Fan, USB ports, Power and Reset switch, etc). I am more or less stuck in an endless loop of trying to boot Windows in order to install it and having my PC crash and restart while the only solution that I can find (switching to UEFI) also doesn't work and causes more problems with my BIOS until it is reset back to defaults. As I said, I have spent hours scouring the web to figure out why it keeps resetting before being able to load any farther (I have also tried two different USB's, one I formatted with the online tool and one that I got with a copy of Windows 10 Home from Best Buy). Does anyone know what could be causing the UEFI BIOS Mode error or the failure to boot and how to try and fix it?

NOTES: My BIOS is fully up to date, I have everything that is not absolutely necessary unplugged (case USB ports, Graphics Card, and all of the hard drives including the SSD), and I have tried using two different bootable Windows Flash Drive as well as a different Flash Drive for my attempt at running MemTest86.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Solution
However, the BIOS doesn't show that the CPU is overheating either
What cpu temperatures are you seeing in BIOS?
Can you show a photo?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

i7-9700k requires very good cooling.
High performance air cpu coolers like - Bequiet Dark Rock 4 Pro, Cryorig H5, Noctua NH-U14S, NH-U12A, NH-U12S or similar.
Or AIO watercooler with minimum 240mm, 280mm radiator.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just for the sake of relevance, it's best you mention the BIOS version as opposed to just saying it's up to date. Most often we have threads where people think they're updated but have an update or two pending.

Did you use a 16GB pen drive to create your bootable USB installer with Windows Media Creation Tools? FYI, why did you bother with that silly cooler? You should be on an AIO with at least 240mm of cooling surface area. I think your issue is that the processor is overheating.

i7-9700k
Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) CPU Fan
That is not adequate cooler for i7-9700k.
Check temperatures in BIOS. Probably your cpu is overheating.
Get a better cpu cooler for your system.

Also - it may be necessary to update BIOS to latest version.

Cooler-Master-i70-i70C-MINI-CPU-Cooler-Radiator-12cm-LED-Blue-Light-Quiet-Fan-For-Intel.jpg_640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just for the sake of relevance, it's best you mention the BIOS version as opposed to just saying it's up to date. Most often we have threads where people think they're updated but have an update or two pending.

Did you use a 16GB pen drive to create your bootable USB installer with Windows Media Creation Tools? FYI, why did you bother with that silly cooler? You should be on an AIO with at least 240mm of cooling surface area. I think your issue is that the processor is overheating.
Thank you for your advice! That's something that I hadn't come across yet, so I didn't even think about it. However, the BIOS doesn't show that the CPU is overheating either, so that may have been the cause of my ignorance as well.

My apologies about leaving out the BIOS! I currently have the BIOS driver: E7B51IMS.1D0, which I believe is the most up to date option on the MSI website for my board (it was the most recent one available to download on their website). The build date for the BIOS is 12/31/2020 and the release date for that BIOS is 1/04/2021.

Also, I set up the Windows bootable drive on a SanDisk 32 GB drive. I am unsure about the settings for the new Windows 10 drive, but I do know that one has been working better than the one that I made.

Do you have any recommendations for a better CPU fan? I admit that I am quite the novice when it comes to this aspect especially, so I more or less chose one based on size and then chose the "best" option they offered.

EDIT: I made a couple Google searches and found the following AIO fan on Amazon:
EVGA CLC 240mm, All-In-1 RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler, 2x FX12 120mm PWM Fans
It should be compatible with my Motherboard, but I don't want to take any chances ordering another dud if I can avoid it.

Again, thank you so much! This has been driving me insane so it is nice to hear from people that can help!!

Last edited:
However, the BIOS doesn't show that the CPU is overheating either
Can you show a photo?

High performance air cpu coolers like - Bequiet Dark Rock 4 Pro, Cryorig H5, Noctua NH-U14S, NH-U12A, NH-U12S or similar.

Solution
Nov 4, 2021
Can you show a photo?

Thank you for the suggestions! Just looking at those fans makes me realize how small the fan I got actually is. Going off memory right now, the numbers that I can remember it reading were between 38 and 41 (deg C I think?). I will edit this reply as soon as I can upload a photo of the BIOS screen.

IMGUR link: View: https://imgur.com/a/jBQ7D1i

Also, do you have any idea what would cause the problem in the second picture? Every time I switch from CSM mode to UEFI mode it causes the motherboard to flip out.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Temperature at idle 38C is fine. You have to worry about temperatures at full cpu load.

Second photo causes concern. It's either damaged graphics card or corrupted BIOS.
Remove graphics card and see, if you can reproduce graphical issues using integrated graphics.

If still the same problem with integrated graphics, then reflash BIOS. Use single memory module, remove all cpu and ram overclocking.

Nov 4, 2021
Temperature at idle 38C is fine. You have to worry about temperatures at full cpu load.

Second photo causes concern. It's either damaged graphics card or corrupted BIOS.
Remove graphics card and see, if you can reproduce graphical issues using integrated graphics.

If still the same problem with integrated graphics, then reflash BIOS. Use single memory module, remove all cpu and ram overclocking.
I see. Well I will have to try reflashing the BIOS since the issue has taken place without the 1050 Ti installed (I've unplugged pretty much everything not critical to startup). I did try flashing the BIOS once already, but it didn't change anything. However, it is possible that I did not complete the process correctly so it doesn't hurt to try again. I don't think I have any cpu and ram overclocking on, so I should be good there. However, I will double check and leave only one RAM stick installed this time.

In other news, I did order the Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, but it will be a couple days before it arrives. I will upload the results of that swap as soon as I am able to, so fingers crossed!

Thank you so much!

Nov 4, 2021
I see. Well I will have to try reflashing the BIOS since the issue has taken place without the 1050 Ti installed (I've unplugged pretty much everything not critical to startup). I did try flashing the BIOS once already, but it didn't change anything. However, it is possible that I did not complete the process correctly so it doesn't hurt to try again. I don't think I have any cpu and ram overclocking on, so I should be good there. However, I will double check and leave only one RAM stick installed this time.

In other news, I did order the Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, but it will be a couple days before it arrives. I will upload the results of that swap as soon as I am able to, so fingers crossed!

Thank you so much!
I got the new fan today and installed it. I understand that the smaller fan was definitely an issue to tend to, but it did not fix the constant reboot issue. I tried to ReFlash my BIOS multiple times, but the system performance hasn't changed. The computer still gets as far as fully unloading the files from the Windows 10 USB (Best Buy), starts to load the MSI logo (with the circular dot, dot, dot loading screen), makes about one revolution and then restarts the computer. MSI recommended that I try using a different monitor, this solved the strange glitch that happened when I switched to UEFI Boot mode, so that problem should be more or less solved. However, the computer still resets itself at the same point.

Can you think of anything else that would cause the reading of any USB/Disk to fail at that point? I can't even get it to move beyond the aforementioned screen (and MemTest86 did not load either). Is it possible that I need to reconfigure some settings to properly load the devices?

Thanks again for all of your assistance, it is very appreciated!

EDIT: I was running some different tests today (11/7/21) and learned a couple new things. The first is that changing the monitor did help solve the strange BIOS screen problem that took place when I would switch from CSM to UEFI. I edited this into the above paragraphs where I mentioned it. The second is that I noticed a light on my motherboards EZ Debug would turn on right as the computer restarted. So, I attempted to boot Windows and watched the debug lights to see which one flashed. It was the CPU light that briefly turned on during the restart, which I assume means that something is happening to the CPU that is causing this problem. Could it be a hardware issue with the CPU?

Last edited: