Question Brand New computer will power on, do fine, the second I try to log in, power shuts off

Apr 16, 2023
I just bought this pc, specs list here
Turned on fine, installed windows, went fine, installed steam, downloaded HOI4 second I launched it, power cut.
It wouldn't turn on then, I had to flip the PSU off, and wait a minute then it would turn on, and when I turned it on, and pressed sign in, it cut power.
I was able to reset the PC, wipe everything clean fresh install of windows, it worked fine for 1 minute didn't even install anything, then it cut power again, and back to the cycle of it not turning on, and having to wait with the PSU off to turn it on, for it to turn off when I try to log in.

I've already tried
Reseating the ram
Checking all connections
Removing the graphics card
Different power cord and different outlet
The only thing I haven't tried is a different PSU, but I don't have the tools to test mine or test another one.

Any other tips on what I should try?

I just bought this pc, specs list here
Turned on fine, installed windows, went fine, installed steam, downloaded HOI4 second I launched it, power cut.
It wouldn't turn on then, I had to flip the PSU off, and wait a minute then it would turn on, and when I turned it on, and pressed sign in, it cut power.
I was able to reset the PC, wipe everything clean fresh install of windows, it worked fine for 1 minute didn't even install anything, then it cut power again, and back to the cycle of it not turning on, and having to wait with the PSU off to turn it on, for it to turn off when I try to log in.

I've already tried
Reseating the ram
Checking all connections
Removing the graphics card
Different power cord and different outlet
The only thing I haven't tried is a different PSU, but I don't have the tools to test mine or test another one.

Any other tips on what I should try?
Verified Purchase
GP-UD1000GM PG5 Not Turning On
Reviewed in the United States on January 9, 2023
Color: 80+ Gold PCIE 5.0Size: 1000W PG5Configuration: GIGABYTE
Title says it all. Very disappointed.

I picked this up to replace a Seasonic 750W since that doesn't have the power I need for a 4090 but when I hooked it up, nothing. The LEDs came on the mobo and the red light over the CPU connector turned off, both indicating power, but the power button on the board and the case button both did literally nothing. Figured the PSU was bad so I put in a spare Rosewill and it booted fine. Retried the Seasonic and it still worked fine too. So I exchanged the PSU and lo and behold, identical issue with the new one. Tried all the enclosed CPU cables, made sure cables were all locked, no change. 2 lemons in a row.

Mobo is the Asus PRIME Z690-A. Everything works fine with the other 2 PSUs I have so it's not a CMOS or memory issue, which is the only troubleshooting I can seem to find. Not only have I never had a PSU arrive DOA in the 24 years I've been building PCs, but 2 in a row? Pretty incredible.

bought this PSU 6 months ago because it has the 12vhpwr connector. I wanted to future proof my build in case I got a new GPU this year.

This month, I got that new GPU. I had to replace my case to fit it, which meant transplanting the machine. One of the wires came out of the motherboard power connector when I removed the cable (gently!). Came clean out like it was clamped and not soldered. After 20 years of building computers, this is the first time I’ve seen anything like this.

I have little faith in Gigabyte’s RMA process right now, given that it first rejected my photo for having JPG instead of jpg as the extension and forced me to enter all my information again. I replaced it with a better brand that doesn’t have the 12vhpwr connector. Even if Gigabyte replaces the unit with a working one, it’ll be my risky backup. And I’m not sure I’ll trust that nice, native 12vhpwr 600W connector ever.

Verified Purchase
came faulty
Reviewed in the United States on March 3, 2023
Color: 80+ GoldSize: 750WConfiguration: GIGABYTE
tried replacing my current PSU. I wanted a fully modular. Almost everything in my computer is from Gigabyte so I figured id go this route.

Installed as it should. didn't start. Gigabyte PSU made my computer go into fault mode. re-installed old PSU, computer started right back up.

For being on sale it wasn't bad for a 750W though. Sadly i got a bad one.

Verified Purchase
DOA. Swapped to another PSU and everything worked immediately.
Reviewed in the United States on January 6, 2023
Very disappointed that the unit I received was DOA. I bought this unit with the (12+4) 16 pin connector for my new 4090 card. Attempting to power on had absolutely no response. Double and triple checked all cables and connections. Finally swapped to another PSU I had and everything powered on immediately. I am glad I read some other reviews who received dead units as well.

Very frustrating when you are doing a new build and trying to figure out what you did wrong going back over every step and plug multiple times only to finally find out that some of your brand new hardware is not working.

Apr 16, 2023
UPDATE: ok after some more testing I confirmed it is the graphics card at fault, I noticed that if I waited a little bit, things would load, I just had to wait, so I installed HOI4 again, launched it, and power cut as soon as I loaded the map which is graphics heavy.
So I tried user bench mark to benchmark everything
As soon as it tried the graphics card it cut power
Without the graphics card everything works fine
I even stress tested the cpu for a couple of minutes at max and not power cuts
I tried a different the extra 8 pin cable with the GPU, and same story anything graphics intensive cuts power, is it the GPU or PSU that's at fault?

Apr 16, 2023
Verified Purchase
GP-UD1000GM PG5 Not Turning On
Reviewed in the United States on January 9, 2023
Title says it all. Very disappointed.

I picked this up to replace a Seasonic 750W since that doesn't have the power I need for a 4090 but when I hooked it up, nothing. The LEDs came on the mobo and the red light over the CPU connector turned off, both indicating power, but the power button on the board and the case button both did literally nothing. Figured the PSU was bad so I put in a spare Rosewill and it booted fine. Retried the Seasonic and it still worked fine too. So I exchanged the PSU and lo and behold, identical issue with the new one. Tried all the enclosed CPU cables, made sure cables were all locked, no change. 2 lemons in a row.

Mobo is the Asus PRIME Z690-A. Everything works fine with the other 2 PSUs I have so it's not a CMOS or memory issue, which is the only troubleshooting I can seem to find. Not only have I never had a PSU arrive DOA in the 24 years I've been building PCs, but 2 in a row? Pretty incredible.

bought this PSU 6 months ago because it has the 12vhpwr connector. I wanted to future proof my build in case I got a new GPU this year.

This month, I got that new GPU. I had to replace my case to fit it, which meant transplanting the machine. One of the wires came out of the motherboard power connector when I removed the cable (gently!). Came clean out like it was clamped and not soldered. After 20 years of building computers, this is the first time I’ve seen anything like this.

I have little faith in Gigabyte’s RMA process right now, given that it first rejected my photo for having JPG instead of jpg as the extension and forced me to enter all my information again. I replaced it with a better brand that doesn’t have the 12vhpwr connector. Even if Gigabyte replaces the unit with a working one, it’ll be my risky backup. And I’m not sure I’ll trust that nice, native 12vhpwr 600W connector ever.

Verified Purchase
came faulty
Reviewed in the United States on March 3, 2023
Color: 80+ GoldSize: 750WConfiguration: GIGABYTE
tried replacing my current PSU. I wanted a fully modular. Almost everything in my computer is from Gigabyte so I figured id go this route.

Installed as it should. didn't start. Gigabyte PSU made my computer go into fault mode. re-installed old PSU, computer started right back up.

For being on sale it wasn't bad for a 750W though. Sadly i got a bad one.

Verified Purchase
DOA. Swapped to another PSU and everything worked immediately.
Reviewed in the United States on January 6, 2023
Very disappointed that the unit I received was DOA. I bought this unit with the (12+4) 16 pin connector for my new 4090 card. Attempting to power on had absolutely no response. Double and triple checked all cables and connections. Finally swapped to another PSU I had and everything powered on immediately. I am glad I read some other reviews who received dead units as well.

Very frustrating when you are doing a new build and trying to figure out what you did wrong going back over every step and plug multiple times only to finally find out that some of your brand new hardware is not working.
Huh?