Brand new CPU will not get warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

wowjunkie25

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I have followed every step in this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
detail by detail...My Comp will still not POST...My CPU will not get warm or hot it stays cold always...what can i check to see if my CPU is even getting any juice so i can see if it is the mobo or PSU...nothing matters if my cpu will not get warm...that means my CPU isn't even running...so i need a new MOBO, PSU, or CPU...but i do not know how to check which one...my mobo lights are on and all my fans are running and my disk drives are running...and so is my Hard drive...just my CPU is not running...

Also my CPU uses a 4pin...that is firmly plugged in i have checked it thousands of times...someone plz help before i flip out and chunk this damn 350$ new custom built PC out my window lol

wowjunkie25

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
if HSF is a heatsink what good would that do? even if the heatsink is plugged in but not down on the CPU...the cpu should still get warm...does my CPU have some sort of Heatsink detection?

A cpu when working will hit 80+C in seconds if not less, running it with out a hsf is very likley to destroy cpu and maybe mobo.

Have you plugged the 24pin power plug into the mobo, and the 8/4 pin auxillary power plug. Have you plugged in the leads from the case switches to the motherboard.

wowjunkie25

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
ill put the heatsink back on but it only seems to be a waste of thermal paste and time...i will have to take it off again at some point...and I would never run a CPU with no heat sink...i cant even get a POST

BloodyBonzai

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Wow, you people are retarded. His problem is that his CPU is not increasing in temperature, the only reason you put a fan/heatsink on the CPU is to keep the temperatures down. Unless there are some sort of error messages, best way to determine the problem is by using a different mobo or different CPU to test your current hardware on. I would recommend seeing if you can buy a cheap mobo at a location that has a return policy, if not just get a cheap mobo to test to make sure the CPU is working fine. If the problem persists, it was the CPU and you need to get a new one. Only other potential problem would be the PSU. Overall idea is you test a system out with only one of those three pieces of hardware being used to determine if that specific hardware is functional or not so you can eliminate each piece of hardware as being the problem.

Also, I recommend in the future spending at least $1000 on a computer to ensure you are getting quality parts and you buy them all at once so you can verify everything is working properly since you will have the time to return the hardware if it is not working properly.

Most importantly, ALWAYS POST YOUR SPECS!!!!!

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
My guess is that the CPU either burnt up, it was dead to begin with, or the mobo was.

BloodyBonzai: Some of what you said was nonsense. Price is never a clear indicator of quality - expensive PoS components are common. And you don't install a HS/F as a means to keep temps down. You install it because it's required. As mdd1963 stated, modern CPUs will simply not function without one.

As a civilized person, I don't resort to insults and/or name-calling. Neither should you and ghnader, so knock it off.

Know what you are talking about prior to providing someone helpful information. That way it is actually helpful and not complicating things further.

The reason people are insisting on putting the hsf on is that when it works it will then fail if you don't, and he'll blame us for it failing.

Also we are checking the basics as I don't believe any set of instructions would say leave the hsf off.

zootnerper

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hi,

The reason your CPU does not get warm is that the BIOS checks that a heat sink is in place on the CPU and that the fan is working. If one or the other is absent/not working it will not activate the CPU because it will fry.

Put the heatsink on with some heatsink paste and plug in the fan.

-- Zoot

AMD and Intel plus all the other chip manufacturers on the planet have been trying very hard to create CPU's that dont get warm . If we can crack the minor issue of yours not actually doing any work and keep it "not getting warm" you will become an incredibly wealthy man .

DO NOT try and run a processor without a heatsink and fan in place . Thats not a good way to tell if your system is working .

You have been through the troubleshooting . Thats a good start .

If you didnt get a BIOS or beep codes of any kind there are only a couple of options .
1/ the power isnt plugged in . You have the 4 pin plugged in , but is it an 8 pin socket or a 4 pin? Do you have the 24 pin connector plugged in?

2/ The psu is incapable of producing power . Do the fans spin up? Do you have another psu you can try ?

3/ the motherboard has been hit by a brick falling from space

Do you have a case speaker that will let you hear beep codes?

BloodyBonzai

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

I could write an entire page pertaining to price and quality, but I stated a general view that implied that generally speaking a computer that costs $1000 will have higher quality parts than a PC of lower price. Given there are parts in all price ranges that lack quality. But I provided this information in case the OP or someone else would be interested in a $1000 build consisting of high quality parts, otherwise I would be writing page after page reviewing countless options and comparisons.

Straight up, a heatsink is not required, only a smart idea to use one. But given this topic was not about CPU heatsinks, and everyone posting prior to me seemed to think it was; I came to the obvious conclusion that they were delaying the answer from being derived. This general practice is an act of retardation, therefor they are acting retarded. Not an insult but a practical conclusion based upon the evidence they themselves provided. Being civilized has nothing to do with anything I have stated, that would be ignorance or not properly interpreting the facts and overall situation.

BloodyBonzai

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

He already attempted to post without the heatsink and determined the CPU was not even warm, therefor putting a heatsink on the CPU and attempting to POST is meaningless.

BloodyBonzai

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

BIOS checks for a working fan on the heatsink otherwise it will not activate the CPU?!?!?!
People using this heatsink must have a real problem booting their computers.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/prolima-megahelams

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
No-fan heatsinks can work, but a BIOS checks for a fan by default. In order to get a no-fan heatsink to work, that check has to be disabled within the BIOS. Look within your own BIOS for an option something along the lines of "System Halt on no CPU Fan."

You've posted so much misinformation within this thread I'm tempted to ask a mod to come in here and wipe away all traces of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.