[SOLVED] Brand new custom CLX build over heating, i7 10700k overclocked. HELP PLEASE!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 19, 2020
I recently bought a custom high end gaming system from CLX and have been having major over heating issues with the system. I'm desperate. It's a i7 10700K overclocked (they overclocked it prior to shipping), with 32gb ddr4 ram 3200, and a geforce 2070 rtx super, 850w psu, 1tb m.2 ssd, 3tb hdd, asus rog strix z490-h 1200 mobo. I purchased a 240mm asetek cpu cooler with radiator to go along with 3 intake fans on the front, 2 intake on top, and 1 rear exhaust fan. All fans are 120mm. 6 in total. When I run high demanding games such as rust, all cores stay around 95-100 degrees celsius. I thought maybe the thermal paste was bad so I tried cleaning off the stock paste and then purchased arctic mx-4 and reapplied/seated. Didn't work. I checked the fans in bios and they're all set to FULL speed which shows 100%. I have CLX sending me a 360mm cooler this time but something still isn't adding up. I feel like I should be able to cool the system with what I have already to begin with. I've tried for weeks looking for any answers that might help. Which is what is leading me to try and fight lightning in a bottle by posting here. My idle temps are around 30-35 degrees celsius. Spent so much money on a new system and I can't even play the game I want. So frustrating. I will attach some screen shots of coretemp/speccy/setup. If there is anything you can think of, anything at all, i'd greatly appreciate it. System is only 1 month old. Thank you!

Pictures:
Inside Case - CCore Reading In Game - Speccy Reading In Game - System Specs - Front Of Case

Edit: All graphics drivers are updated.

Solution
Your motherboard actually has a '1-click OC' feature called MCE, or Multi Core Enhancement, in bios.
When you get the 360mm cooler, turn that on.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Agreed- there is a huge misconception around thermal compound which seems to draw excessive attention to paste/application rather than other environmental variables.

The reality is also that with users grasping at this low hanging fruit can cause other problems if they are not 100% confident in their ability to remove a cooler, clean thermal compound, apply new compound and correctly re-install the cooler.

Many actual issues are in the realm of the following:

1. Wrong cooler for the job: ex: small 120mm AIO trying to cool 32 core Threadripper
  2. Incorrect overclocking settings, such as setting vCore and other options incorrectly
  3. Poor case design, poor airflow - this is an issue with many (cheaper) 'pretty, tempered glass cases with RGB lighting'
  4. Improper fan and/or pump curves defined - PC cooling isn't magic...that heat has to be moved somewhere

Sep 19, 2020
Just installed the 360mm. What a pain in the ass taking this case apart with all the LED's. I was able to get everything off, attached everything, installed the larger AIO and applied Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. The temps went down a good 10 degrees even with the AI overclock. I'm very happy now that this is fixed. Only question is, should I go through tech support again to have them walk me through a manual overclock now that my cooling is improved?

New Reading During Rust Play (Heavy Load)

:) Thank you all again very much!

EDIT: One more quick question if I may, about my fans. I have 6 fans total all 120mm. The 3 in the front are intake, the 2 on top are intake, and only the 1 in the rear is exhaust. Does that sound right to you? Or should I have the 2 on top exhaust? I've been reading mixed things about it but I also know if it's 3 in and 3 out, then you have even air pressure and you want positive I believe. Kind of confusing because hot air rises and all that.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Only question is, should I go through tech support again to have them walk me through a manual overclock now that my cooling is improved?

Not a chance. Find a guide here or online or ask around on the forum here and learn how to do it yourself. These guys clearly don't know what they are doing.

EDIT: One more quick question if I may, about my fans. I have 6 fans total all 120mm. The 3 in the front are intake, the 2 on top are intake, and only the 1 in the rear is exhaust. Does that sound right to you? Or should I have the 2 on top exhaust? I've been reading mixed things about it but I also know if it's 3 in and 3 out, then you have even air pressure and you want positive I believe. Kind of confusing because hot air rises and all that.

The two top should always be exhaust. Having an even amount of fans is fine, trying to get it perfectly positive or negative is a waste of time, as long as you have good proper flow. With the 2 top as exhaust you will.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Sep 19, 2020
I asked them that same exact question and they told me the top two should be intake so the air moves to cool the cpu otherwise it'll fight against one another. It's insane. Thanks again i'll flip them for the 4th time lol...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I asked them that same exact question and they told me the top two should be intake so the air moves to cool the cpu otherwise it'll fight against one another. It's insane. Thanks again i'll flip them for the 4th time lol...

And that right there why you should never take any advice from those guys ever again. And clearly purchasing a computer from these clowns in the future is a bad idea.