Question Brand new modem/router from ISP randomly dropping internet connection?

supo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
Hi all, I'm not an advanced user when it comes to networking so bare with me please. So my issue is that my internet drops after a few days of usage randomly. I got a new and upgraded modem/router from my ISP at home but I'm using my own private wireless router (newly bought Asus ac86u) and every device is connected to this router.

When I lose my internet connection, I restart the ISP modem/router then it works again. Or if I just restart my own Asus router, the connection works again. And another thing I've noticed is that when I lose internet connection I cannot access the configuration UI of the ISP modem/router at all. I have tried two different routers it's the same issue.

However if there was a problem with the ISP modem/router why does restarting my own router temporarily also fixes the problem? I have checked all the cables etc so they are all good. I've read about something called Bridge mode, do I need to activate this function on my ISP modem/router? Can it be that my ISP modem/router is conflicting and loosing internet connection because of this Bridge mode function? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

So you may have a host of problems going on, but let's start with the basics.

You really need only one router--either use the isp one or yours. If you're going to use yours, your isp combo unit needs to be in bridge mode so it works as a straight modem. Try this first.

supo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
So you may have a host of problems going on, but let's start with the basics.

You really need only one router--either use the isp one or yours. If you're going to use yours, your isp combo unit needs to be in bridge mode so it works as a straight modem. Try this first.

Thanks for the reply, I have activated the bridge mode now so I have to wait and see. However what other problems can cause this particular issue I'm having? Bad modem/router? There is no problem with the line that goes inside the house that I know.

Thanks for the reply, I have activated the bridge mode now so I have to wait and see. However what other problems can cause this particular issue I'm having? Bad modem/router? There is no problem with the line that goes inside the house that I know.
If you've got it in bridge mode, hopefully that will fix it.

It can be a host of software and potentially hardware issues since bugs pop up in edge case circumstances since they're not fully tested by the equipment makers anymore.

Let's see if the problem occurs again with your new setup.

supo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
If you've got it in bridge mode, hopefully that will fix it.

It can be a host of software and potentially hardware issues since bugs pop up in edge case circumstances since they're not fully tested by the equipment makers anymore.

Let's see if the problem occurs again with your new setup.

Hello again, now again the same problem happened and I had to restart my modem/router again. What happens is that I don't lose internet 100%, it becomes extremely unstable and slow. I have like 500 mbit down and 250 mbit up. So when the problem occurs I cannot even open some webpages, and if do a speedtest on the net (if I can manage to get into the webpage that is) then my down and up speed is random like i.e 200 down 150 up.

Like I said restarting the modem/router fixes the issue temporarily for 1-3 days then bad again... Any suggestions?

supo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
Okay it happened again now. So this is what I did to troubleshoot, and I really can't find the root of the problem.

First of all this is my setup: ISP modem/router(in bridge mode) ----> Asus ac86u router ----> network switch Netgear with 8 ethernet ports that I use.

One single ethernet cable goes from modem/router to Asus router, Asus router have 4 ethernet ports and they are in use by other devices, then one ethernet cable goes to the switch from Asus router and almost all the ports on the switch are used by other devices as well.

So when the problem occured again this is what I did:

I disconnected the Asus router and connected my desktop PC directly to the modem = internet worked again without problems with full bandwidth as it should be
Then I again connected the Asus router to the modem/router and my PC to the Asus router = internet worked again without problems with full bandwidth as it should be

So I didn't need to restart neither my Asus router nor my modem/router combo. At first glance it would have seem that it's a router problem however I have tried several routers at home, and with all of them it's the same issue. There is a conflict going on somewhere that is my best guess, but what can cause such a thing? And another thing, is it normal that I have two IP addresses? Because my Asus router shows one IP, and my modem/router shows another IP? Can there be a conflict in such a thing?

Also can it be that an ethernet cable is bad somewhere that can cause it?