Question Brand new MSI 1060 6GB; fps drops, screen stuttering

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hi all

about two hours ago I installed my new MSI GTX 1060 GB, switching from AMD R9 290.. I launched Apex Legends, looking forward to stable fps and boom.. FPS drops, stuttering and all this kind of bs.. I have the newest drivers and removed the old AMD drivers before I installed my nvidia in..

My specs are

- MSI 970 Gaming MOBO

- MSI GTX 1060 6GB

- AMD Fx 8300

- 8GB HyperX Fury

- Burst Patriot SSD 120GB

- WD BLUE 1TB

- OCZ Technology PSU 700W

DavidM012

Distinguished
cpu / gpu temps? memory speed? any overclock? Cooler? Case, Fans? Memory usage of game? 8gb maybe a bit low and causing windows to work harder paging.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/

A bench of your system may highlight any bottlenecks.

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/1 cpu-z scores

Hmm well the single threaded score of an 8350 is the same as the score for a 4350 which is the minimum requirement of the game where the 8300 single threaded score is a bit further down the list at 167 and may technically be below the minimum requirement for the game.

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
well yesterday when I was using my R9 290 it was going much better than now..

Temps are all okay, gpu around 50-55 degrees, cpu same. No overclock, Case is Zalman Z11 with open side, about 6 total fans and I dont know about the CPU cooler.

Like I said, yesterday the game was running flawlessly but since I installed new GPU this morning, it went downhill..

Dimpayy

Great
May 20, 2019
try turning v sync on. If that doesn't work either then turn your monitor off and then turn it on again. And I dont mean unplugging it I mean closing it from a button or seomthing idk maybe unplugging will work too.

Dimpayy

Great
May 20, 2019
I'm not saying random stuff this has happened to me as well I have the same monitor specifications, I just turn the monitor off. I recommend that rather than vsync.

DavidM012

Distinguished
cpu is below minimum requirements not surprising it's struggling at 1080p probably bottlenecking the gpu v.low cpu-z score, gpu is a different creature perhaps someone else will know some tweaks you can apply but I doubt there's much you can do short of turning down the resolution and I do not believe switching the monitor off and on will make any difference whatsoever.

Reactions: Sk1nx

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
try turning v sync on. If that doesn't work either then turn your monitor off and then turn it on again. And I dont mean unplugging it I mean closing it from a button or seomthing idk maybe unplugging will work too.

Triple buffering VSync is turned on and I already tried to switch it off.. no results

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
cpu is below minimum requirements not surprising it's struggling at 1080p probably bottlenecking the gpu v.low cpu-z score, gpu is a different creature perhaps someone else will know some tweaks you can apply but I doubt there's much you can do short of turning down the resolution and I do not believe switching the monitor off and on will make any difference whatsoever.

Okay and about RAM.. I have 2x 4GB, would it be issue if I bought the same 4GB ram and had 3 rams ? I am asking because I have only 4 channels available and I heard that there should be one channel free between rams.. IDK about that

DavidM012

Distinguished
shot in the dark there really mismatched kits of the same specification may or may not work together but additional ram will not solve your problem either & a cpu upgrade isn't really worth the money. A 4350 should be ok on your board with the 6+2 power phase and the 4300 has a higher single thread score than the 8300 but nothing you do to your fx system will be a significant upgrade it is quite obsolete these days.

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
shot in the dark there really mismatched kits of the same specification may or may not work together but additional ram will not solve your problem either & a cpu upgrade isn't really worth the money. A 4350 should be ok on your board with the 6+2 power phase and the 4300 has a higher single thread score than the 8300 but nothing you do to your fx system will be a significant upgrade it is quite obsolete these days.

So which CPU would you suggest?

Some kind of new Ryzen altogether with a new MB ?

DavidM012

Distinguished
Yes entry level ryzen maybe an r5 1600, that exceeds the fx 8300 by 200 points on cpu-z so that is a significant enough upgrade to be worthwhile, but still not the top performer either, but it should probably be ok for that at 1080p. Zen 2, generation 3 is about to be released in a month or two if you wait for that the specs and pricing look hot.

Sk1nx

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Yes entry level ryzen maybe an r5 1600, that exceeds the fx 8300 by 200 points on cpu-z so that is a significant enough upgrade to be worthwhile, but still not the top performer either, but it should probably be ok for that at 1080p. Zen 2, generation 3 is about to be released in a month or two if you wait for that the specs and pricing look hot.

Okay so something happened and now Apex is running on 70-100 stable fps without any stuttering.. I think I just closed Mozzila Firefox and its all good..