Question Brand new PC, and boot drive using already 40Gb!?!?

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Hello
Just wanted to ask what is going on here with windows. I just unboxed my PC and checked the drives. One of them is empty and the other one, which is the boot/windows drive is 98Gb/143Gb. Since when windows uses 40Gb of space? I have uninstalled the basic apps on the "start" and some of the default MSI bloatware, but this wont make a difference. I have also noticed the PC comes with MS office already installed. I uninstalled all of them (i clicked "uninstall" on the start menu apps), but i dont believe i actually did.

Would a clean install of Win10 take less space? Also can i do it using the recovery options in my already installed windows 10 or should i get windows from MS website and create a bootable USB?

Thanks

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
40gb for windows+office+page file isnt bad...

try the windirstat application to figure out where the space is used (run as admin)
I had to return the exact same PC a week ago and it had the same thing. Aready did the Windirstat. The largest one was InfusedApps and i read online that it had something to do with windows default apps or things

Should i bother trying to uninstall the correct stuff or just reinstall windows?

infused apps i think are all the windows store apps that windows 10 will reinstall even if you wipe them.

just leave them be, they get re-added after each major release anyway.

make sure hibernation is off (cmd as admin and run 'powercfg -h off' that one uses a bunch of storage too.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
infused apps i think are all the windows store apps that windows 10 will reinstall even if you wipe them.

just leave them be, they get re-added after each major release anyway.

make sure hibernation is off (cmd as admin and run 'powercfg -h off' that one uses a bunch of storage too.
Yeah, but its driving me insane. Checked WinDirStat again and it shows that InfusedApps is 9Gb where 7Gb is just folders named Microsoft.Office, and other crap windows apps i never wana use. This is so <mod edit>, excuse my language.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS