Question Brand new PC and it's too hot.

Aug 31, 2019
So i bought a brand new PC and got it home yesterday, the CPU is running 49 degrees celsius being idle, and when i play low requirement games like WoW Classic it get's up to like 75. Wanted to see how it ran high end games, and it went to 80-90 degrees and sometimes spiked at 107. I do only have the stock cooler, but i still feel like it should be running cooler granted that it's brand new.
Even my GPU is running sorta hot at 40-50 degrees idle, and 70-75 in wow and maxing out at 83 in the high end game.
CPU: Intel I7-9700.
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 2070 RTX Super.

If anyone got any idea's it would be much appreciated, since i do find this very frustrating and can't seem to fix it myself.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Remember your ambient (room) temperature is very important here. Components are tested in controlled environments, and for CPUs this can often be around 22 degrees, for every degree your environment is above this, you'll be at least a degree hotter.

However despite this, was this a new PC you bought pre-built? If so, simply return it, you would undoubtedly have to open the case and fiddle with components for this kind of issue, and if you have just bought it, the seller should be responsible for it not being faulty.

IMO, send it back, don't void any warranties. It is too hot in reality to be running at constantly, it should definitely be kept under 85 degrees at least constantly, if yours is hittig constantly 90 degrees, the seller should be able to do some work to make sure the temperatures are brought down.

Aug 31, 2019
Watch the now edited "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
All right, I was thinking the same, just sucks it's the second pc I'm sending back because whomever built it <<edited>> it up... 2 pc's 2 weeks..

But thanks a lot for the welcoming and the advice.

Aug 31, 2019
Yeah that's probably a thing as well, pretty sure my room is like 25-30° most of the time ( not by choice).

Will give full specs when I get home, was pre-built so don't wanna mess with the insides and ruin my chances at getting my money back.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah that's probably a thing as well, pretty sure my room is like 25-30° most of the time ( not by choice).

Will give full specs when I get home, was pre-built so don't wanna mess with the insides and ruin my chances at getting my money back.
Most CPUs are often tested in controlled conditions around the 22 degree mark, so if your room is 30degrees, you'll be at least 8 degrees hotter in effect under load.

You may just need a system with a beefier cooler if your ambients are always high. You're right that a stock should always work well enough, but you may need to consider an upgrade, but as others have stated, it could also be the cooler not correctly seated for example.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Aug 31, 2019
CPU: INTEL i7 9700F 8-CORE.
GPU: ASUS RTX2070 SUPER 8GB .
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390 PLUS GAMING .
Ram: 32GB 3000MHZ CORSAIR VENGEANCE CL16 .
SSD: 512GB m.2 SSD NVMe X4 (INTEL 660P) .
PSU: CORSAIR 650W.

If there's more you wanna know hit me up.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
What is the stock air cooler on your Intel? Intel does not supply air coolers with this CPU...

The Intel i7 9700K should not be cooled with a stock air cooler. You need a cooler than can handle the 95 watts the CPU generates. Actually, I think the CPU can peak at about 150 watts under load or 225 watts when overclocked. It is best to use a Noctua 15, Be Quiet Rock Pro or similar cooler. Or you can use a AIO liquid cooler, minimum 240mm in size.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is the stock air cooler on your Intel? Intel does not supply air coolers with this CPU...

The Intel i7 9700K should not be cooled with a stock air cooler. You need a cooler than can handle the 95 watts the CPU generates. Actually, I think the CPU can peak at about 150 watts under load or 225 watts when overclocked. It is best to use a Noctua 15, Be Quiet Rock Pro or similar cooler. Or you can use a AIO liquid cooler, minimum 240mm in size.
That's the 9700k.
This is the 9700F

Which I don't have myself but when I checked with Intel stated it did have a boxed heatsink with it.

Also is 65w TDP so theoretically a 65w TDP cooler should suffice, emphasis on should :LOL: I'd imagine it ships with the same cooler as the 9700 as TDP is the same but the F has no IGPU to generate more heat.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
Got the cooler installed and now it works perfect.
CPU stays at about 33° when i'm playing Classic wow.
And GPU is around 37-40°.
So i'm pretty happy with that.

Appreciate all the fast responses and the advice thanks a bunch :)!

Reactions: PC Tailor