[SOLVED] Brand new pc build powers on with fans, radiator, leds etc, but no signal on monitor and DRAM qled light is on (amber). All specs included.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 5, 2021
ASUS 550f gaming (no wifi)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Dark Za 32GB (2x16) 3600 ddr4
Coolermaster 240L liquid cooler /radiator
ssd: 970 evo plus nvme
case: fractal define vision s2

After several unsuccessful boot attempts (fans and leds on mobo power on, but no signal to monitor and dram qled light on amber on mobo), I removed my GPU (3070 ventus 3x) just to eliminate it as a possibility. HDMI is now running from the mobo to monitor.

Before doing anything, I flashed the bios using the button on the back and a USB with the latest bios from asus, and it appeared to work (blinking green bios flash led in top left of mobo that sped up then stopped when it finished, which is what the manual says happens).
I've pulled out one of the RAM sticks and tried the other one in all slots. Tried both sticks. Same issue. RAM clicks in and is properly seated as far as I can tell.

I've since cleared CMOS and removed battery to restore to original bios from the box (which in hindsight probably would've supported my 5800x. (mobo number ends in 1004).

Is it bad ram sticks or bad mobo maybe? I have new ram coming on 1/7 to check.
Any thoughts? Anyone know what is likely cause or what else I should try?

Solution
I'll keep this in mind but won't be able to try that for a bit, perhaps lend to a friend. Is your sense that the "dram" error light being on is something less critical? That it should be able to post even with something going on there, and that the no signal should be a gpu issue?
Dram light is an issue yes but on some motherboards its just a bios issue that has no effect, for example my PC works fine yet the CPU led is always on no matter what since my last bios update. I was just getting at some very basic troubleshooting tasks since we’re waiting on your new ram to come in
Jan 5, 2021
Oh really :( then the last chance is your RAM s may be faulty somehow. Did you try to put each one of them one by one to check if only one of them is damaged ?
yea, booting with single stick in all slots etc. i do notice the latest bios update is marked "beta" on the site. any chance that is causing me problems (my guess is no)

Jan 5, 2021
It is generally about faulty RAM sticks. I just replaced my new RAMs after the day I bought my PC. It is electronics...
Sad news. Tried some new RAM today which was definitely on the QVL. Same symptoms as before:
  • Black screen on the monitor (appears to have no signal)
  • DRAM QLED on motherboard (amber)
HDMI cable from GPU to monitor, flashed latest BIOS etc.
I will check the pins of the CPU soon and perhaps try the GPU on a friend's pc just to be sure. Any other next steps I should consider? Is it likely a bad motherboard or anything else I should be checking that could've gone wrong in the install?

Jan 5, 2021
Sad news. Tried some new RAM today which was definitely on the QVL. Same symptoms as before:
  • Black screen on the monitor (appears to have no signal)
  • DRAM QLED on motherboard (amber)
HDMI cable from GPU to monitor, flashed latest BIOS etc.
I will check the pins of the CPU soon and perhaps try the GPU on a friend's pc just to be sure. Any other next steps I should consider? Is it likely a bad motherboard or anything else I should be checking that could've gone wrong in the install?
folks, i forgot I had flashed it with an older version of the bios while trouble-shooting. Went back and flashed again with the latest, and with the new RAM and it booted. Thank you all.

Reactions: rehxes