Brand new PC, GPU not recognized

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi, I just built this brand new PC, everything apart from my discrete GPU works just fine, 12V/5V/3V stat in Bios are good so not a PSU issue, everything else on mobo works fine so don't seem like a faulty mobo to me.

PCIE3.0 slot is shown to be "empty" when I run the System Browser function in UEFI

System:
Intel i5-3570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Gigabyte N670-OC/GD2(fan working, plugged into the top PCIE3.0 slot,6 & 8pin Molex plugged in): not recognized in Bios/Hardware scans/Nvidia/Gigabyte Driver installation(unable to install because GPU not recognized)
Ra: 16G(4X4G) Corsair LP 1600Mhz(recognized as 1333 Mhz atm)
PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold.

Solution
Try updating the motherboard's BIOS first. It might help.

Do you have another computer to test the GTX 670 card in and another graphics card to test in your build? This should show if the graphics card is the problem and maybe if the motherboard is the problem.
Try updating the motherboard's BIOS first. It might help.

Do you have another computer to test the GTX 670 card in and another graphics card to test in your build? This should show if the graphics card is the problem and maybe if the motherboard is the problem.

Solution

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Updated to the latest BIOS from ASRock website, no change, still not recognized in device manager under display adapters(only Intel IGPU recognized)

I don't have another computer or even another board to test, I could switch it to another PCIE3.0 slot or another PCIE2.0 slot on the same board to see if the slot is faulty though.

Well, that's something. Sure, give it a try.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Turns out there was nothing wrong with the slot, just me being silly.

The case have thumbscrews for the PCI expansion slots, after removing the cover I used the same thumbscrewsto bolt the GPU in, this caused the GPU to be pulled out of its PCIE socket and not get recognized, I reseated the GPU and it got recognized and I install dirvers without issue.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, this was my first build so I made a few mistakes I had to fix. It was better than I expected since during installation I thought I bent the CPU pin 5 times & flexed mobo infinite times and turns out everything works just fine.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

yeah that's what I meant. It was quite a rodeo but I am glad I passed without much trouble.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

That's alright, I am doing fine right now, downloading drivers and backing up stuff, I went into Bios and fixed the Ram speed too.

Unless you have any further questions, please select a best answer so people know that this thread has been solved.

If you ever have anything to ask, please feel free to make a new thread and/or PM me. I'll help as best as I can and I'm sure that others will too, especially if they find your thread before I do :)

TRENDING THREADS