[SOLVED] Brand new PC has FPS stutter & lag only during mouse movements

Solution
When you tried a different mouse, was it also wireless? Have you ever tried the mouse you're using in wired mode if possible? Sometimes this kind of thing can come down to a poorly placed wireless receiver, or some other electronic device conflicting with it's signal transmission. Make sure your mouse driver is up to date, and I'd even check Device Manager to make sure no devices are flagged for missing drivers.

If you try the above and the wireless signal is not the problem, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you try a more commonly used brand of RAM. It's common practice among experienced game PC builders to always check the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendor List) to make sure the RAM you buy is certified as testing compatible with...
When you tried a different mouse, was it also wireless? Have you ever tried the mouse you're using in wired mode if possible? Sometimes this kind of thing can come down to a poorly placed wireless receiver, or some other electronic device conflicting with it's signal transmission. Make sure your mouse driver is up to date, and I'd even check Device Manager to make sure no devices are flagged for missing drivers.

If you try the above and the wireless signal is not the problem, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you try a more commonly used brand of RAM. It's common practice among experienced game PC builders to always check the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendor List) to make sure the RAM you buy is certified as testing compatible with your MB.

I looked at the Mem QVL for the AsRock Z390 Pro4, and XPG is nowhere on the list. Things like Memory and PSUs are just as important as other components, you want to make sure you get reliable ones.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Pro4/index.asp#Memory

Note, if you don't have access to a friend (or store you bought it at) that can let you momentarily try other RAM, at least test your XPG with a full Memtest86 scan if you haven't. Put it through all the default tests, which can take over 2 hours. There should be zero errors. https://www.memtest86.com/

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 11, 2019

If you try the above and the wireless signal is not the problem, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you try a more commonly used brand of RAM. It's common practice among experienced game PC builders to always check the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendor List) to make sure the RAM you buy is certified as testing compatible with your MB.

I looked at the Mem QVL for the AsRock Z390 Pro4, and XPG is nowhere on the list. Things like Memory and PSUs are just as important as other components, you want to make sure you get reliable ones.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390 Pro4/index.asp#Memory

Note, if you don't have access to a friend (or store you bought it at) that can let you momentarily try other RAM, at least test your XPG with a full Memtest86 scan if you haven't. Put it through all the default tests, which can take over 2 hours. There should be zero errors. https://www.memtest86.com/
Hey, I ran the memory test on the ram and it came out with 0 errors, I just picked up a set of Corsair Vengeance LPX @3000mhz and installed it and it didn't help. While testing this out I realized that while teamspeak3 is open, and I move my mouse around in apex, my GPU usage drops from 80% to under 20%. When teamspeaks closed it stays up and the lag isn't as bad at all. In another game like minecraft though, teamspeak doesn't affect it but having a youtube video playing in chrome does. Idk what is going on

Yeah, well there are a lot of 3rd party softwares that don't work well with many games ,and teamspeak is one of them. Had you mentioned you were using such software while gaming I'd have told you to try running the game without it.

That said, it doesn't hurt to upgrade to a more well known, compatible RAM. I've been running Corsair Vengeance LPX on my rig for some time and it's rock solid. It's also pretty cheap lately, a lot cheaper than I got mine for.

I also don't get why you'd even want to run a YouTube video WHILE playing a game. Many will minimize a game of course if they're stuck in a spot to check a YouTube video, but playing a game WHILE watching a video is asking for too much.

Seems like what's going on is you need to know what a game can and can't handle. They aren't meant to be played while multitasking.

Aug 11, 2019
Yeah, well there are a lot of 3rd party softwares that don't work well with many games ,and teamspeak is one of them. Had you mentioned you were using such software while gaming I'd have told you to try running the game without it.

That said, it doesn't hurt to upgrade to a more well known, compatible RAM. I've been running Corsair Vengeance LPX on my rig for some time and it's rock solid. It's also pretty cheap lately, a lot cheaper than I got mine for.

I also don't get why you'd even want to run a YouTube video WHILE playing a game. Many will minimize a game of course if they're stuck in a spot to check a YouTube video, but playing a game WHILE watching a video is asking for too much.

Seems like what's going on is you need to know what a game can and can't handle. They aren't meant to be played while multitasking.
Yeah of course running other things in the background will hinder the performance of any other programs running, but these problems are very slightly happening without other programs running, and teamspeak shouldnt be causing my game to drop hundreds of fps when I move my mouse. On my old 6 year old rig I was able to have TS open while playing apex and have a youtube video running on a second monitor while running minecraft just fine, so why shouldn't it be working now?

I wiped all drives/partitions and did a fresh install of windows and tested with the new ram in and still had no success so I'm almost convinced now that it's another part, either GPU/CPU or a bad PSU. If there's anything else you could suggest I try before returning/testing replacements for these parts please let me know. Either way thanks a ton helping out!

What PSU are you running? Maybe try stress testing with AIDA64, OCCT, or Heaven and Valley benchmarks. I listed them in order of most complex to most easy to use.

Also, if the RAM is not defective, and trust me, rarely is Corsair Vengeance defective, it should pass Memtest86 with zero errors. Make sure your RAM is in the proper slots for dual channel mode and fully seated and locked down, and make sure the BIOS is set to XMP. Also, try testing one module at a time in the first slot to see if one actually is defective.

You need to get that sorted first. It could be a problem with the MB if the RAM is good but still getting errors.

Last edited: